Starwood Hotels & Resorts - Fairly typical corporate environment. Great perks. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

"Fairly typical corporate environment. Great perks."

Pros

Good pay. Good bonus opportunity. Great perks like deals on staying in gorgeous hotels around the world. Good training opportunities. People focused culture.

Cons

When I was there (a number of years ago so this might have changed) there was a lot of turn over at the SVP level. Each time a new person came in they felt like they had to do something to say "look I did that. This used to be blue, but I made it red..." which created a lot of busy work for very one that didn't actually increase revenue.
Also, there was not great work/life balance. People act like they are curing cancer there and expect the employees to treat everything as such. Every year we were told to do more with less. 9-7 was a light day for me, with 9-9 being pretty typical.
Unfortunately I would say this is pretty common in corporate America though.

Advice to Management

Honestly, beats me. I get that there are rising costs and shrinking margins. I also get that your bonus etc is based on what you can put in a PowerPoint and say "look I did this." But taking a huge step back it seems like a lot of work is spent doing things that don't actually make for a better guest experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

1. "hotel reservations sales"

Former Employee - Hotel Reservations Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Hotel Reservations Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

option to work from home - great benefits - available 24 hours per day 7 days a week & you know your schedule for at least a couple of months at a time. Huge market share in hospitality industry

Cons

can be treated as if you are in a cattle call. Most managers are great with training however, regardless of your background and experience can take a very long time to progress within company. Your schedule is set and the numbers you are expected to reach can be somewhat extreme.

2. "Pros and Cons Like Every Job"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people every day, helping people and making their vacations, seeing repeat guests coming back to visit, when a guest has a bad experience and your able to turn it around, some managers did try a little harder then others to make employees feel appreciated and they try sometimes to uphold some sort of culture and values.

Cons

Not enough people at times for check in, pay isn't really comparable to other hospitality positions in the industry, lack of ability to move up, really not passionate about the employees, no work/life balance