Starwood Hotels & Resorts - No assistance with my future aspirations with Starwood | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

"No assistance with my future aspirations with Starwood"

Current Employee - Restaurant Greeter in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Restaurant Greeter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to learn how to gain loyalty from the guest in a performance environment.

Cons

The human resources department do not assist me in my development. They admit they want me to stay in the position I am in rather than grow talent from within. Management is harsh and inconsistent, much favoritism and nepotism. People are not recognized for their hard work and loyalty.

Advice to Management

Human resources could take a more active role in keeping their talent. I see a lot of strong employees leave for other hotels.

Other Employee Reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

1. "Beneficial"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Monarch Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Monarch Beach, CA

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to be apart of

Cons

Trying to find another job opening within Starwood

"If you can't take the heat...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid incentive pay for above property associates and leadership, brand new LEED certified office HQ, smart & passionate people, oustanding & unique hotel brands, tons of opportunity to move and grow within the company. If you are talented you can basically have a new job every 3-5 years. Innovative and outside the box ideas are welcome and supported by leadership. Endless work & challenges for you to grow your skillset and solid career development opportunities.

Cons

Constant innovation and new ideas can be frustrating to those who need structure and stability. This is not a 9-5 shop. The hospitality business is 24/7 and SW expects a lot even out of it's "corporate employee"s. If you aren't ready to give 55-60 HR's a week, you are going nowhere at this company in my opinion and you may even have trouble hanging. Personally I am fine with that but can see how it's a turnoff for some who are used to the typicl 40-45/HR a week corporate job.

Advice to Management

Just be careful about putting "who you know" vs. "who is best qualified" into leadership roles. Internal promotion and bringing in "people from the industry" is needed but at times there can be bias because of the fear of externals not knowing the industry. You are missing out on some great external perspective & talent.