State Farm - Internship Review | Glassdoor

"Internship Review"

Former Intern - Clerical Intern in Huntington Beach, CA
Former Intern - Clerical Intern in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, very nice place to work at. The agents there were all kind to me, and answered my questions whenever I had one about their job.

Cons

Ended up doing menial tasks for most of the time, though this was more on my fault anyone else's. Could've taken initiative more to take on more and more difficult tasks.

Advice to Management

Really work with interns more and try to challenge them. If they don't meet your expectations, then give them something easier, but most interns should have strong abilities to achieve more than what you originally thing.

Other Employee Reviews for State Farm

1. "Best Place to be"

Current Contractor - Sharepoint Engineer in Bloomington, IL
    Current Contractor - Sharepoint Engineer in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great team with knowledgeable members and very professional and easy going

Cons

Too many investments on third party tools and waste of money

"stepping stone to a better place...."

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Kernersville, NC
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Kernersville, NC

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand recognition. Solid claims service. Very willing to pay claims and pay them quickly. Lots of long-time customers who are emotionally attached to their policies and not shopping every renewal.

Cons

Agents are considered "independent contractors" with no benefits but are treated like "employees." The days of working hard for 10 to 15 years building a book of business then relaxing and enjoying the fruits of your labor are gone. You are forced to sell a certain amount of life products each year to get perks like free internet leads and such. However, the rates on our life products are "extremely" uncompetitive. The only way I'm getting a life policy issued is if my client isn't shopping. When cliets are changing cars or buying a new car we don't have the ability to accurately tell them what their premium will be. When we call the support office to get help they aren't able to help because they aren't licensed agents. Therefore the company won't let them "quote." As agents we have no control, no sayso, no power, no influence. And don't bother calling an underwriter for an "exception" or for a little "grace" for ANYONE because it wont' happen. The "system" makes all the decisions.

Advice to Management

Drop CRI, SF Bank, SF Mutual Funds, and Assurant. Get back to the basics of what made this company great by focusing on auto/fire. Maybe after we gain back market share on those lines we can lower the rates on our life products so we can be remotely competitive.