State Farm - Stable flexible workplace | Glassdoor

"Stable flexible workplace"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, stable environment, career development, coworkers

Cons

location, corporate red tape, lack of technology focused leadership in IT department

Other Employee Reviews for State Farm

"Great place to work-Hard to leave. Typical Cons of a big company."

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-State Farm corporate is a one stop shop for everything you'll need for a career. There is training, classes, professionally supported certification courses, unique opportunities that are rare in the world due to our expansive systems, and many options for future advancement. I could absolutely see changing careers three or four times all while staying within the company.
    -Benefits and pay is great overall.
    -Yearly raises, while the rest of the country struggles is amazing. (double digit %'s happen)
    -Flexible schedules for most positions make work-life balance easier. (This last year we were specifically asked to work from home two days a week)
    -The work is pretty varied, at least in the positions I've been in.
    -Culture also depends on your area, but overall is pretty good. You won't see ping pong tables here, but I personally prefer that. You will, however, be able to enjoy State Farm's amazing park and pool, and many many MANY events and clubs through the activities department. (I personally I enjoy our pistol shooting competitions)
    -Forward thinking as far as technology goes - dependent on area. Yes, we still have Assembler, COBOL, and PLI running, but we pick up newer technologies fairly quickly. We were first to the market with many mobile technologies that competitors are just now promoting.
    -Unique experiences working on huge systems that impress other companies. I know 3 people who have left for other companies and they said after being at SF their new jobs were very easy and people were very impressed with them. Two of them came back to State Farm, and one wants to.

Cons

Most cons are ones you'll see in most companies, and are more pronounced in large companies.

-If you are in a slow area, work may be boring or non-enjoyable. Usually there are solutions to this if you are a go-getter.
    -Hard to be fired! There are 'workers' who do very little and obviously skate by-sometimes even receiving raises because it's part of the culture here. I disagree with this practice and it can be somewhat demoralizing to the very hard workers. Again, this is an area thing. I was in this situation where I wasn't appreciated by my manager for the unique job I was doing, so I found a new position and couldn't be happier.
    -A Pro or Con, depending on how you look at it: You may quickly get paid higher than any other company would. Not really a problem if SF is a long term plan, but if you'd liek to leave, don't expect to make what you would here.

The biggest point on cons, is that it depends on what area you are in. SF is a huge place, so while one manager might run things one way (Micromanaging, no work flexibility, low raises) another might be completely different (Hands-off, allows work from home, generous raises). If you are here and don't like your job, it's doubtful it's the company, it's probably your specific work or manager.

Advice to Management

SF does have employees fill out manager surveys. I would to see more happen from these to weed out the non-effective managers and keep the great ones.

"Excellent opportunities to develop and make your mark."

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Excellent management (in my department at least): I've often heard complaints about managers being deaf and incompetent, here it seems like the smartest and most capable do rise to the top. They are also very concerned about the development of reports and are typically available for questions.

-Fairly engaging work: Day-to-day assignments remain interesting although there are dull days like any office jobs. Special projects pop up and often require thinking and problem solving in different ways.

-Collaborative: There is a lot of face-to-face time with other employees. Dropping in on more senior analysts is encouraged and they are always receptive with answers to questions. There is frequent group work and I never have felt like I'm on an island in my cubicle.

-Pay and Benefits: The salary looks lower than some other analyst positions, but consider that the COL is very low in Bloomington compared to major cities. There remains a pension (yes, a pension) which is a total rarity these days- still, you can probably expect modest payouts unless you stay with the company for a long time. The 401K match is somewhat weak but there are solid fund options from Vanguard. Health and Dental premiums are reasonable.

Cons

-Type of employees may not appeal to some migrants: Many, many employees in Bloomington were born and raised in Illinois and as a result are not particularly worldly. Everyone is incredibly nice but if you are coming from a big city or college town there may not exist the level of sophistication that you are used to. If you see there being more to life than settling down and having kids then you may find you have little in common with some coworkers. Still, the company is big enough that you should be able to find like-minded folks.

-Exam raises: These have not increased in a few years though they should feasibly be reevaluated more often. They may not keep up with other companies'.

-Relocation on the horizon: State Farm has opened three massive offices in other areas of the country and there is some speculation that the presence in Bloomington will be greatly reduced in the next five to ten years. Most of this is unfounded but people aren't really sure right now.

Advice to Management

This is a company town and rumors fly fast. You should get on top of this because people don't always have the best opinion of you all when there is a lot of uncertainty.