State Farm - Great place to work! | Glassdoor

"Great place to work!"

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Pay is average but excellent benefits.

Other Employee Reviews for State Farm

1. "It was a great learning experience to distinguish between good & bad leads."

Pros

Salary + Commission , State Farm advertising , competitive prices.

Cons

Claims department is so backed up and the underwriting department takes a week to make any changes to a policy & it takes 20+ minutes till you reach someone.

"You can make good money but no work/life balance"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in sales at an agent's office. Good money if you work hard and constantly pick up the phone. Didn't always have to be in the office 9-5. I could kinda make my own schedule. My co-workers were nice. Some of the customers appreciated when you helped them. The paychecks were really all I looked forward to after awhile.

Cons

Sales in general I learned I wasn't really cut out for. Following up with people for weeks or months to maybe make a sale just seemed like such a waste of time when usually they just stopped answering your phone call. Chargebacks on your pay are something I couldn't stand at all.

I worked in sales but sometimes had to step in and do the service side of the job which entailed helping existing policyholders. The phones would constantly ring and usually had someone angry on the other end that instead of listening to me try to help them just wanted to complain about their bill going up out being dropped. The constant bad attitudes and negativity from customers really starts to wear on you.

I would frequently take sales calls after after 5 and on weekends as I had a business phone where I could be reached at any point to take a sales call. Having this on call (I've had calls as early at 7:30 AM and late as as 9 PM) position really wrecked my home/life balance. Stopping things I was in the middle of in my own time or cutting into my time with my family to run a quote got old really quick.

My base salary ($24,000) was pretty low for having my P&C license, health/life license, bachelors degree and basically being on call. My agent (boss) said the lower base is to give incentive to sell. If you wanted to make more money you are told to just sell more. They push this uncapped and unlimited salary but really you can only sell so much in a month and are at the mercy of the agent's commission structure. Before I quit I was on pace with base and commission to make around $50,000, but didn't seem that much when you're available to work 8 am-9 pm Monday through Saturday.

I never had a problem hitting my numbers, but it's easy to hit numbers when you can take a call before the after the office is open and closed. The agent would always give you a compliment on good sales and follow it up with a meeting later in the week wanting more production.

There is no real upward advancement unless you work near a corporate office. The office I worked at was no where near a corporate office. That only leads you to the agent route. It seemed like a good idea before but not so much anymore. You don't own the book or business and the new contract is awful.

Advice to Management

Give the office reps actual reasons why premiums go up not just "an overall rate increase" when the policyholder clearly has no actual reason for the increase. That means absolutely nothing to someone angry about their bill.
    Established agents barely do anything in the office and most of the time are out "networking" (at the bar or golf course). Pay your office reps a decent salary for making you 6 figures a year.