State Farm - Great place to intern if your looking for Financial Services experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

"Great place to intern if your looking for Financial Services experience"

Former Employee - Intern
Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Given that you have a good agent to work under the training is valuable. Hours are typical. usually co workers are competent and will help you understand and train, you can be certified to sell P&C and Life health insurance very quickly if you focus and study.

Cons

At times it can be weird because you are competing with coworkers for customers( pay is usually based on comission)

Advice to Management

Make more of an effort to diversify your market in different subgroups. Offer more sales training to new interns and employees.

Other Employee Reviews for State Farm

1. "State Farm Team Member"

Current Employee - Fully Licensed Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Fully Licensed Customer Service Representative

Pros

The agent is very understanding when it comes to taking time off for my childs activities. Job is fairly secure despite economy (everyone has to have insurance). Vacation & sick time are generous.

Cons

Pay is low. Raises are few and far between (haven't had one in over 3 years). Employee turn over is high and agent thinks we can do with just him, myself and one who only works about 30 hrs per week (I'm exhausted!). Bonuses are set so they are just barely out of reach. Bonuses are not equal among employees. Biggest problem is how "team members" are treated by State Farm Corporate - we don't exist. We don't qualify for benefits, scholarships, our opinion is not solicited even though we (not the agents) are the ones dealing with most of the customers. It's discouraging to be treated by State Farm, the "Good Neighbor" people, as if you don't matter.

Advice to Management

Stop the bonuses and pay more to encourage loyalty amonge employees. Reward strong sales and service with occasional lunches or paid time off.

2. "Great firm just not the right position for me."

Pros

Large brand, globally recognized. Great work/ life balance, as long as I was completing my projects on time, I basically could send the rest of my time as I chose.

Cons

The scope of the job is really geared towards generating new business (i.e. sales), began the position thinking it would be based more around marketing.

Advice to Management

Learned a lot about great opportunities with the firm while working for it, that I would have never associated with an insurance company. I would suggest management do a better job of promoting all of its needs as an employer.