State Farm - College Internship Review | Glassdoor

"College Internship Review"

Current Employee - Agency Field Intern in Fullerton, CA
Current Employee - Agency Field Intern in Fullerton, CA

Pros

great team atmosphere, highly encouraged to give your opinion and praised for your work

Cons

difficult for someone with no family/prior knowledge of the insurance industry at times to keep up

Advice to Management

Feedback and praise is great!

Other Employee Reviews for State Farm

1. "Working at a agency"

Current Employee - Associate in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Associate in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Hours can be flexible. Can have a really relaxing and personal work environment. The more sales you make the more money you make.

Cons

Really depends on who your boss is. Sales expectations are not reasonable sometimes and alot of time your benefiting the owner of the branch

Advice to Management

Reward your support staff more.

2. "Good company overall, but like everyone, they have issues..."

Current Employee - Customer Service/Sales in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Sales in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Room for growth in a very large, diverse company. Their work ethic and customer service training is superior to all other insurance companies. We are taught that we may not be the best price all the time, but we are always the best value and people will realize that when they have claims, or any questions about their policy. We have different client call us on a daily basis because they cannot pay their bill on time, and our office will do whatever we can, short of paying the bill ourselves, to help them out. Sometimes it's making sire an automatic checking account pull happens on another day, sometimes it closing the account for a month and have them pay cash when they can. Geico and Progressive won't do that, they'll just cancel the policy and they say best of luck to ya' pal.

Cons

The problem is you have to get past the agent to move onward and upward. Every State Farm agency is it's own entity, and is owned by the agent. He is the final word. If you realize you do not link working with that particular agent, it could be difficult for you to try to move to a different agency, since they are going to talk to your old agent. A lot of agency are very small offices, so you have to be a jack of all trades, you will not be just a sales guy, or just a phone girl, everyone has to be on the same page. This can be a problem with unmotivated people, which you will always have in an office setting. It can be very difficult for the other coworkers, but because of the first issue I brought up, you usually just suck it up until they quit.

Advice to Management

Do not micromanage!!!! If you hire quality employees, they will take care of your business, but you have be willing to say, wow I made a mistake hiring this person, and get rid of them! State Farm does not required Agents to pay a certain amount for a certain position, it is up to the agents discretion. That can make it difficult for employees if the agent is naturally a cheapskate, and will try to get you to work for the least possible amount. That will create animosity between the agent and his employee, and the consequence is high turnover rate.