State Farm - Good people. | Glassdoor

"Good people."

Former Employee - Intern
Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Everyone is pleasant, likable, and decent.

Cons

Too many layers of management. Upper-levels are clueness.

Advice to Management

Flatten.

Other Employee Reviews for State Farm

"Financially strong company, poor hiring practices"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

Pros

Financially strong company. Industry leader. Agency opportunity is good in high premium states, very difficult to make a living in low premium states. Promote from within to a fault. Opportunities everywhere in the country. They still have a good old fashioned pension for employees.

Cons

Only those that are financial service producers get promoted. Very few opportunities to get hired by the company above entry level. Seems quasi-government at times. Illustrations provided by leadership to recruit agents are overstated by about 70%+ in some cases. Slow to change.

Advice to Management

Cross pollinate the organization with some external talent. Increased competition will improve everyone's performance. Improve integrity in hiring practices with honest illustrations to new agents.

2. "Can't wait to become an agent!"

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

Pros

Working in an agents office prepares you well to become an agent if that's your goal, I can't imagine becoming an agent without having spent some time as a staff member and in my situation worked my way up to the office manager, there is alot to learn and took me a year before I felt comfortable with the products. You definitely stay busy and there are always opportunities to advance your education, Life and Health License, Property and Casualty License, Finra Securities license, if you want to sell mutual funds. If your goal is to be an agent you will have to pass many tests but its worth it . I have a Masters degree in Business so I'm hoping that will also help when I go in front of the board to become an agent. You have to be able to multi task and have the ability to put people at ease when they are upset, Good customer service is everything in this line of business

Cons

Can be stressful from the sales end meeting expectations

Advice to Management

Have we thought about marketing to Nascar fans? Sponsor a car? Need to market more to the youth population and make the internet quoting process more user friendly