State Street - It was a good learning experience but the management doesnt really help you along. You need to be a self starter. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for State Street

"It was a good learning experience but the management doesnt really help you along. You need to be a self starter."

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are nice managers and friendly coworkers.

Cons

repetitive work, low entry level pay

Advice to Management

Be mroe proactive and hands on with employees

Other Employee Reviews for State Street

1. "Good way to break into the industry"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at State Street full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

exposure to institutional clients, different investment products, good entry into the business

Cons

complacency keeps people at low paying jobs, not very selective in hiring (lots of dummies are hired), went through layoffs and outsourcing.

"Conservative and Complacent"

Former Intern - Global Services Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Global Services Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The SSGS team is very kind. Personally, I received a good amount of work that really added value. I felt as though I was a valuable part of the team and that I wasn't just being paid to sit and twiddle my thumbs. Most of my other intern friends can't say the same. The atmosphere is really relaxed, and my team was very helpful.

Cons

As a whole, I got the feeling that although State Street wants to become a more innovative company, its culture is still very conservative. Its younger crowd is ready for change, but it seems the older generation is very complacent with old processes because they work. It is recognized that there is an obvious need for change and modernization to keep up with the moving market, but the main problem standing in the way of improvement is the acknowledgement that there are many barriers, and the cautionary steps taken rather than the determination to move forward despite all obstacles.

Advice to Management

I think you should listen to the new recruits more. Recent graduates are taking many courses that can really add value in regards to a fast growing, changing market. Just because it works, doesn't mean it can't be better. Strive for better and faster.