State Street - Button Pressing Sweatshop | Glassdoor

"Button Pressing Sweatshop"

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Sacramento, CA
Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at State Street full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k is great, 100% match, fully vested after a year
Majority of co-workers are fresh out of college, so you will have a group of people to commiserate with

Cons

So many, starting with the biggest:
PAY- is excessively low, even with the current turnover rate (as high as 40% in some groups), State Street continually drops their non-negotiable, take it or leave it, subsistence level entry level salaries. They often claim they are right with the industry average in terms of pay, but I have never seen an article claiming the new industry average for finance & accounting is in the low to mid 30's. Work environment is generally miserable, aside from the happy hours you will be attending every other friday to celebrate the persons last day who you never really got to know in the first place because they weren't there for very long. Most people stay here for a year, starve, become great at excel, and leave for a job anywhere else that pays 10-20k more. With the economy picking back up, offers are getting rejected and current SSB employees are dropping like flies.

Leave SS as your last option, and even at that point, look again, because you will get an interview, and an offer in short time after you apply.

Advice to Management

increase pay, responsibility...thereby reducing turnover.

Other Employee Reviews for State Street

1. "Good Starting Place"

Current Employee - Associate II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate II in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a big corporation, looks good on your resume.

Cons

Pay is lower than at any other bank/financial corporation. Bonus is a joke. High turnover, smart people leave fast.
    Worked in many different groups, most of the time promotions are earned by getting an offer from a different place, or being buddy-buddy with management.

Advice to Management

Find a way to create revenue, you cannot reduce expenses infinitely.

2. "Fund Accountant II"

Current Employee - Funds Accountant II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Funds Accountant II in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is good. I work from home so that is great especially with a young family. Downfall I am losing all my communication skills. Work with some good people at my level.

Cons

Just a job and pays the bills. Common theme among coworkers. Yearly layoffs which means additional work loads.

Advice to Management

Lacks communication. I didn't get a merit raise. End of year communication stated how well we have been doing. So much for that.