State Street - not that great | Glassdoor

"not that great"

I have been working at State Street full-time

Pros

people are great and fun to be around

Cons

work is not challenging and hours are terrible

Other Employee Reviews for State Street

"Waste of time"

Current Employee - Investment Accountant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Investment Accountant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at State Street full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and culture, flexible hours, good entry level job, benefits are pretty good and will pay for your education

Cons

Low pay, no opportunities for growth, very political - if you stay long enough, you'll get a promotion. if you see no opportunities for growth after 1-2 years, leave!

Advice to Management

n/a

2. "Fund administrator"

Current Employee - Fund Administrative in Hangzhou, Zhejiang (China)
    Current Employee - Fund Administrative in Hangzhou, Zhejiang (China)

I have been working at State Street full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.Very great work/life balance, or should I say too great.if it is not in peak time, you only need to spend like 2 hours max to do the daily job. and you can do whatever you want for the rest of the time.
    2. In BPO or AIS departments, 90% of the employees are girls who just graduated from college/\university. So it is good if you are single guy and looking for gf. They love foreigners!!!
    3. Good for female new graduates!!! Stable job, friendly work environment.
    4. Most of the managers are easy going. They do not really have too many rules in the office. Well, some of them do not know /care what their teams are actually doing. So they rely heavily on some of the associate 2 or AM.

Cons

1. Like other SS division, very low pay and practically no bonus . If you are assigned from Boston or UK. Then it is a paradise here. Company will pay for your rent. I know all the experts or VP lives either in luxury hotels/condos. you got the $ salary instead of ¥. But if you hired locally. Then it definitely is a nightmare. The compensation is below the local average!!! After deducting your rent and food spending, you basically have no money left!!!
    2. Limited career advancement. Honestly, if you and your supervisor/unit head are buddy-buddy. Then you should be promoted very quickly. But most of the time, senior management keeps hiring team leader externally instead of promoting us internally. They like ppl who have fancy experience but do not care how much they know of custody/fund accounting. And junior associates just felt like they are just a bunch of ass kissers who pretend to know everything.
    3. Daily job is like an assembly line. You can work here for quite a few months and have no clue what you r doing.

Advice to Management

1. Instead of hiring more ppl, and let them do nothing for a day. Pay us more and we will take care of it. Honestly, we have enough capacity to do current or even more jobs. We know you can get subsidy from local government. But you will make your reputation and turnover rate much more worse cuz ppl see no hope here.
    2. I know assigning experts from home site costs much more than local managers. But I think they will contribute more for the migration process. we had enough of those local managers who get much better pay while do nothing in the chairs for the most of the time.