State of California - Department of Parks - Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve & Armstrong Recreation Area | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for State of California - Department of Parks

"Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve & Armstrong Recreation Area"

Former Employee - Park Aide in Guerneville, CA
Former Employee - Park Aide in Guerneville, CA

I worked at State of California - Department of Parks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to go to work in the Redwoods everyday, and talk to visitors about the natural history of the area. The staff I worked with enjoyed their jobs, and were wonderful to work with.

Cons

I worked as a park aide for two seasons. There are a few down sides to this job: 1) it is seasonal--and you can't work for another state agency to fill the off season, 2) the pay is low with no benefits.

Advice to Management

The rangers who manage the park are great. I wish the State would allow seasonal aides to work at multiple state agencies.

Other Employee Reviews for State of California - Department of Parks

"View office, nearly no compensation"

Pros

California has some of the most beautiful state parks in the country. Even lowly park aides may have ocean view offices. There are also a lot of devoted long term employees who work very hard, but there is deadweight also--see below.

Cons

If you are a full-time, long term employee, you have it made. You'll even get 80% of your salary when you retire for the rest of your life! Wow!
    However, due to budget restrictions (and that sweet pension deal), they don't hire many full time employees: we're seasonal, part time, and intermittent. All these categories have no benefits (except a few vacation hours) and no respect. A number of people I work with are highly educated and motivated, and work wonders for the state park system at slightly more than minimum wage. At least where I work, I have never seen any permanent employee fired for incompetence or laziness--and some should be.

Advice to Management

The system is broken. Please fix it! Too many long term employees do nothing while hard-working seasonals get so little.

2. "California State Parks"

Former Employee - Park Aide in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Park Aide in Santa Cruz, CA

Pros

Really great experience working for State Parks because you get to be outdoors and meet people from all over the world. Free entry and camping at any State park was also a bonus.

Cons

Long hours were spent inside of the kiosk by yourself.