State of Colorado - OIT - Exposure to many different technologies / Fairly fast pace for a state job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for State of Colorado - OIT

"Exposure to many different technologies / Fairly fast pace for a state job"

Current Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO
Current Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at State of Colorado - OIT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall good -- Get to work on multiple very large projects -- Get to play with/learn many different technologies, techniques as a SQL Server DBA

Cons

Extremely difficult to get promoted and advance in your career / Very low pay compare to the private sector

Advice to Management

Fix the pay system or continue to see talented OIT employees leave for the private sector.

Other Employee Reviews for State of Colorado - OIT

1. "Good place to start"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at State of Colorado - OIT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to get experiece

Cons

Pay is below private sector.

Advice to Management

Pay more money and get new management. Take things slower when it comes to consolidatio.

"If you like getting blindsided, go ahead & join them."

Former Employee - Sr. Systems Administrator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sr. Systems Administrator in Denver, CO

I worked at State of Colorado - OIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positives? Only a pay check which was not stellar, only adequate.

Regular hours.

Cons

Where do I start? I never want to burn a bridge, but I feel that this needs to be said.

I am very happy to have departed on my own & taken work in the private sector.

I've 25+ years of work experience in public sector, private sector, organizations large, medium, & small.

By far, the work environment at Colorado State Gov't is the worst I've ever had the misfortune to experience.

Plenty of money to hire people at OIT (gov't creating jobs with debt) but no money to protect & improve the 20+ year old client-server architecture in place; at least at the agency level.

Its 2013. But at information is stored in Office 2000 Word documents, Access 2000 databases & Excel 2000 spreadsheets. Many workers have this information on thumb drives. Considering current security requirements, its very scary!

Management does NOT listen to the people who do the work.

Very territorial environment due to the entrenched classified employee managers who don't want to change. Protecting the status quo means protecting their empire.

You will step across an invisible territory border and on a land mine. As a result, expect to get a complaint lodged against you. All this in the course of just trying to do your job & move your project forward.

If you answer another manager's question with something they don't like, expect to have a complaint sent to your manager. That's the management culture. If they perceive what you're working on or your ideas as a threat to them, they deal with it by lodging a complaint & calling you "unprofessional"

If you are delivering the status on a system or project and have to give bad news such as the road blocks you've run into, expect to be run over by a bus. It is your fault in spite of not having resources (like data storage) required to complete a project.

Tape Backup systems & backup software that are 12+ years old, out of warranty, & on extended support. Big waste of funds on old systems that cold be used to replace them.

Agency IT staff was stripped off & assigned elsewhere. The folks who do the work are a good bunch and usually help you if they are able. But at organizational levels above that ... don't count on any support.

Many hidden agendas.
    No project budget
    No project plan
    No guidance as to whom to talk with to get the project moving forward.

The equipment purchased was Inadequate & undersized for the quantity of data it was to support.
    Not all equipment could be accounted for. What was available sat in boxes for over a year.

I could go on ... but you get the picture.

DO NOT TAKE A JOB AT STATE GOV'T !!

Advice to Management

Anyone with 20+ years of state employment should be retired immediately.
    Break down any & all empires
    Break down any budget restrictions.

Do not accept unfounded complaints against people who have a different perspective or offer advice. This destroys morale and makes for a horrible work environment.

Develop a business case for every project.

Get your IT staff the resources they ask for.

Dictate standards and offer only that. No pen drives, no storing data on laptops, desktops, & pen drives.

Build a redundant cloud (yeah, I know its in progress)

Get data out of documents & into databases; data mine those databases for trends.