State of Colorado - Good Stuff | Glassdoor

"Good Stuff"

Former Employee - General Professional III in Boulder, CO
Former Employee - General Professional III in Boulder, CO

I worked at State of Colorado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and friends to work for. I was able to participate in many leadership development opportunities during my time with the State of Colorado

Cons

The one thing that made me leave was the lack of transparency of raises that the upper management gave themselves at CU Boulder. It wasn't that I didn't think some deserved it but felt they were keeping it from the rest of the staff.

Other Employee Reviews for State of Colorado

1. "Amazing place with amazing people"

Current Employee - Revenue Agent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Revenue Agent in Denver, CO

Pros

-Understanding
    -Able to give employee time off with no questions asked
    -Awesome bosses with great open door policy
    -No micromanaging
    -Great teamwork

Cons

-Lack of raises for several years due to the poor economy
    -Lack of funding for newer office equipment and needed materails

Advice to Management

I have no words of advise to the management. For all the companies I have worked with, State of Colorado managers are about doing a good and fair job. I do not feel there are favorites and gossiping.

2. "Great Summer Job, Limited Growth Opportunity"

Former Employee - Biological Science Technician in Meeker, CO
    Former Employee - Biological Science Technician in Meeker, CO

Pros

I worked for the Colorado DOW after graduating from college with an environmental science degree. The DOW is a great place to work to see if a career in the natural resources field is for you. Pay was good and I worked 4 ten hour days so often had 3 day weekends to explore Colorado. Instead of paying social security a portion of your wage is put in a CO PERA account which is partially matched by the state, which could be a PRO or a CON depending on your thoughts on SS. I had a great crew leader and worked under a great research, but this varies crew to crew. Free housing.

Cons

Although experience may help you move up to a crew leader position, you need a lot of education in order to move up in the DOW. Most of the researchers have PhD's. I enjoyed working there, but as a science technician there is really no opportunity to move up, except to crew leader without investing significant time a resources in more education. As a temporary employee you can only work 6 months out of the year. No health insurance or dental.

Advice to Management

Try to spread out tasks for technicians so that the work does not become so monotonous. Doing plant surveys all day everyday for weeks can get to you after awhile.