State of Michigan - Legal Extern | Glassdoor

"Legal Extern"

Former Intern - Legal Extern in Lansing, MI
Former Intern - Legal Extern in Lansing, MI

I worked at State of Michigan as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff at Dept. of State are all dedicated, intelligent and talented.

Cons

I had to pay for parking.

Other Employee Reviews for State of Michigan

1. "Great Benefits for sure, great pay depending on your friends"

Former Employee - Tech in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Tech in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at State of Michigan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, no doubt. Plenty of time off, very flexible, every crazy holiday you can think of.....

Cons

It's a political atmosphere, your advancement is usually by who you know, not what you can do. This is true of course in the private world but not at the same level. Department of Technology is pretty much a holding place for those they can't fire. So many times over my 12 years did I see someone who'd be fired in the real world be placed at a made up job cause it's just too hard to fire them. I had my chance to make big bucks by being a suck up and "play the game", but that isn't in me so I quit. Granted my benefits aren't the same but I've advance more in pay the last couple of years in the private world based on actual production than I did in 12 at the State.

So basically if you can play the game, don't care you're wasting tax payer money, you can do pretty good. It doesn't matter how good of a job you do, it comes down to playing the game.

Advice to Management

This is a beast that has been built over decades. I'm sure it's the same at all levels of Government, and large corporations like AT&T or Ford. So I "advise" to fire about a 1/4 of the work force who are truly dead weight, but reality is this beast will only grow, that's part of the game.

2. "Government jobs aren't the path to riches everyone expects."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at State of Michigan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, hours are reasonable, and once you get in you have the prospect of long-term security. If you stay employed, pay raises are predictable.

Cons

I was hired as a "permanent" employee which I assumed meant I would be retained unless I really screwed up. Unfortunately, budget cuts eliminated my job after 13 months, yet they kept some employees in the same job who had been there for 30-40 years and were decades past retirement age. Loyalty should be rewarded, but there's a point where they need to make room for fresh blood.

Advice to Management

Use some financial incentives to get the old employees to move on. Offering them a lump sum could eliminate their high wages and make room for younger employees at the lower end of the wage scale. Why keep someone on the payroll in their 90s? Don't hire employees as "permanent" if you don't realistically expect you'll be able to keep them employed; hire them as "limited term".