State of Oregon - Great place to work, good environment. And an excellent mission. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for State of Oregon

"Great place to work, good environment. And an excellent mission."

Former Employee - Applications Programmer Analyst in Salem, OR
Former Employee - Applications Programmer Analyst in Salem, OR

I worked at State of Oregon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Stable place to work for.

Cons

State work can be slow. It is government after all.

Other Employee Reviews for State of Oregon

"Business & Employment Specialist"

Former Employee - Business & Employment Specialist in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Business & Employment Specialist in Salem, OR

I worked at State of Oregon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with clients in helping them to explore their reemployment options. Great team of fun and encouraging coworkers.

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy and red tape. Slow decision making. Often unsympathetic and out of touch managers.

Advice to Management

Work the floor. Understand your employees and aggressively advocate for them with higher management!

"All depends on your management team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I worked at State of Oregon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great state benefits. Lots of opportunities for growth since the agency is new, as long as you get a manager who personally likes you.

Cons

There is rampant favoritism here, unlike anywhere I've ever worked before. Some managers are clueless, unethical, and have zero integrity. Especially true of the Project Managers. The HIX-IT project is a nightmare. Poor leadership from the top down on this one. Even outside vendors and contractors know how horrible it is to work with them! I've worked for other state agencies and this was a new experience for me in that I have never worked with such an unethical and disorganized management team! Very poor example.

Advice to Management

Executive management at the OHA needs to pay much closer attention to what is going on at the project level, particularly the project managers. It will eventually reflect very poorly on the agency as a whole. If you get audited it will be a nightmare for the agency. Lots of good quality staff have either left of their own accord or forced out by poor project management practices. I can only speak about the HIX-IT project, but that project is a PR nightmare waiting to happen. Encourage OHA internal auditors to do some digging.