Statesman Journal - Good people, but reduced to skeleton staff. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Statesman Journal

"Good people, but reduced to skeleton staff."

Former Employee - Reporter I in Salem, OR
Former Employee - Reporter I in Salem, OR

Pros

Working at the Statesman is a good way to get experience if you're starting in your career. I liked all of the editors I worked with in my time there. And, they were able to help me in all aspects of becoming a better journalist.

Cons

Because the company is public, many of the decisions seems to be made outside of Salem. The newspaper industry is in decline, and the Statesman has been forced make rounds of layoffs and force employees to take furlough days. Additionally, when someone leaves, the vacated position is only sometimes filled. Many times, the responsibilities are absorbed by others. This affects an employee's opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

The Statesman Journal's problems seem to be more a product of the times and a symptom of being a publically-owned company. I think there could be more communication between management (brain trust) and employees, many of whom are very intelligent. And, I think many of the employees there could be better utilized in coming up with creative solutions to problems.

Other Employee Reviews for Statesman Journal

1. "Awesome sales opportunities"

Current Employee - Digital Automotive Specialist in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Digital Automotive Specialist in Salem, OR

I have been working at Statesman Journal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The technology and ways you can help your clients are cutting edge and so much more effective than the competitors. The pay is extremely competitive even with our nearby metro.

Cons

Just like any high end sales job the stress and expectations can be high, however the environment fosters good banter and support.

Statesman Journal Response

Aug 4, 2017 – HR Director

It is true that the offerings we have for our sales team to match to customer needs are cutting edge. We strive hard to ensure that we can position ourselves with solutions that work for our... More

2. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Salem, OR

I have been working at Statesman Journal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and work culture

Cons

Older building and job shuffling

Advice to Management

Company could potentially benefit from a clearer organizational structure.

Statesman Journal Response

Aug 4, 2017 – HR Director

Thankfully, at the end of May we moved to a new location that houses our new digital, forward thinking office filled with light and clean lines.