Statoil - Good company to work for if you are true Norwegian, wrong place to be if you are an international employee | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Statoil

"Good company to work for if you are true Norwegian, wrong place to be if you are an international employee"

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good work/life balance. The company is the right choise for those who are looking for relaxed and stable employment. Good company for housewives and not ambitious people. It is nearly impossible to get fired, unless you come drunk to your work.

Cons

No professional growth, guaranteed, unless you are Norwegian or a good friend of someone. Most of employees are just waiting to retire and doing minimum tasks. The company is promoting equal rights, hence a lot of women at all layers of organization and most of them just not capable for their job

Advice to Management

Get rid of a lot of useless people, among you as well

Other Employee Reviews for Statoil

"Not a good company if you are non-Norwegians"

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for a laid-back person. If you just want to enjoy the life and to have 1-year parental leave with 80% pay, come to Statoil and try to have lots of children.
    The Statoil values, "open, caring, hands-on, and courageous", sound very attractive to new talents.

Cons

1. Noticeable difference between Norwegian and non-Norwegian. If you do not know and do not want to speak Norsk, you will be one of the "mercenaries". If you are good, go to other majors - COP, Shell, or Chevron. They will pay and value you much more
    2. So many unprofessional behaviors, such as discrimintative language, social isolation are permitted as long as no physical conflicts are involved
    3. Heavy in decision making and process. The decision seems never to be made during the team discussion. It will be made in the coffee bar by a few Norsk-speaking folks
    4. No team-working or integration at all. Everyone builds the railway by himself/herself. Many times it is funny to see the train can not run through the railway
    5. Being competitive is a big 'no-no'. Inititiative of striving for improvement will be treated as a "threat" or "show-off"

"Spending dollars saving pennies"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Stavanger (Norway)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Statoil have a relatively flat organization where one as an employee can handle projects quite on your own as long as you deliver and show results. I.e. leaders will not interfere too much which I appreciate. If you have a solid knowledge of your specific field and is secure on yourself, you can do a difference. My personal experience is that my closest manager gives me free reins with what I do.
    Working hours are like in Norway good (regulated by law), and you can normally decide how you use your time. If you have a sick child, nobody will raise their eyebrows if you're home to take care of your child. So if you're a young professional starting in this industry, Statoil is a good place to get experience.

Cons

To much money is spent on wastless studies by external companies because project leaders don't have enough broad knowledge and thus don't trust internals with the required background. This leads to what I like to call decision paralysis requiring even more studies!
    Statoil have a lot of technical requirements, which is typical for the oil industry. However there is a resistance to change these when knowledge shows that it should be done.
    Now Statoil wishes to save money by saving pennies instead of saving dollars. This is done by taking away benefits we have had like fruit baskets (from a company for people with disabilities. Social responsibility?), food assortment in the cantina etc.
    Restrictions to travel is another issue. To travel overseas needs approval by top management. I dare say on one occasion that with less restrictions, the company could had saved X. Not to talk about these studies...
    One should bear in mind that Statoil being Norways largest company can't pay as much as foreign oil companies thus pays less because it would raise the average pay level in Norway. All very understandable. With this backdrop it will be less interesting to stay by the company when one have enough knowledge to seek better opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Start listening to individuals one by one over a coffee or something, and not from middle/top management.