Steak n Shake - Horrible, Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

"Horrible, Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy"

Current Employee - General Manager in Toledo, OH
Current Employee - General Manager in Toledo, OH

Pros

- Some good employees and managers
- Decent quality food for a reasonable price

Cons

Ridiculous amount of paperwork, long hours with little to no respect from the incompetent upper management team,
Customer satisfaction system where you're guilty until proven innocent, the most insane management style I have seen in over 20 years of restaurant management experience
Bonus system targets are almost impossible to reach, high turnover of managers (that's if they can even get managers)
Work at least 70 hours a week and management expectation is that you're available even on vacations and days off
I could go on and on, but recommend anyone considerating working at Steak N Shake to look at other alternatives unless your completely desperate

Advice to Management

What a joke of management style. Only thing this management cares about is reaching their numbers so they can fill their pockets with bonuses, no respect or care for the team which makes it all possible from them to even get a bonus. Good luck to anyone even considering working at Steak N Shake as a GM.

Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake

1. "You can make decent money as a server but it is a physical job. Lots of turnover."

Current Employee - Server in Sheffield Village, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Sheffield Village, OH

Pros

You can make good money as a server.

Cons

Very physically demanding.
    Incompetent management.
    Lack of effective training.
    Employees are disrespected.

Advice to Management

When problems are taken to higher ups they should be answered/responded to.

2. "Very unorganized due to management."

Current Employee - Production in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Production in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

There isn't any pros from my experience. They give you a 40% discount on food, which is about it, for the stressful work you have to do.

Cons

When I first started working there, it was a much friendlier environment. There's been too many manager changes rendering the store very unorganized. The schedules were always printed a day before it started making it extremely difficult for employees to plan around their work. The general manager favored the morning/day shift vs. the night shift by having full staff in the morning and limited at night, not due to labor... There has also recently been a robbery at the store so I feel unsafe. I don't feel like I could advance at this store and it's not a place i'm proud to work at.