Steak n Shake - okay for part time job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

"okay for part time job"

Current Employee - Server
Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can usually make about $10 an hour in tips as a server

Cons

management is poor and a lot of the workers treat the job as a joke because its usually only part time

Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake

1. "Great first job"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was my first job and it was hard work, but it was quite rewarding. My managers and general manager were great people and my district manager recognized me for calls she received about good service I provided. They reward people that do a good job. Because it's 24 hours, it fits well with the hours of a busy student. The company culture is conservative but friendly. I felt right at home here.

Cons

As with any job in restaurant service, the pay is not going to be excellent, but it's highly dependent on your effort. If you're efficient and you can upsell, then you'll be doing a lot better on an hourly basis than most people in similar entry-level jobs, and you can get more hours because the store is always open.

Advice to Management

Stable prices for years while others have been ratcheting them up. Quality of the stores I've visited has not slipped. Lots of great people work for this company. Management- keep up the good work.

2. "promised change that is nonexistent and never happens"

Pros

meet new people, learn new skill, interaction with the public, multi-taskin between different responsibilities

Cons

management, no reviews, no pay increase by seniority; have to beg for it, cross-training people on every aspect, but they don't want too

Advice to Management

you the best of best? review everybody and get rid of those that can not perform their job title properly