Steak n Shake - Hilariously, awfully, ridiculously terrible.. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

"Hilariously, awfully, ridiculously terrible.."

Current Employee - Drive-Thru Operator
Current Employee - Drive-Thru Operator

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I read an earlier review that said that stealing food was easy. I had to laugh and agree with him. Besides that, you get a 40% employee discount. The people that you work with there are often excellent people. A lot of the times, you get along well because you're commiserating with them. You're all trying to make the most of a bad situation. The customers are, for the most part, understanding and patient individuals. The servers are often also understanding when problems arise, though many of them make mountains out of molehills if their tip might be on the line. Which, all things considered, is kinda understandable, considering a lot of their livelihoods are in how much they make in tips. With low food prices, their tips are often paltry for the amount of work they put in.

Cons

The vocal minority of customers can ruin your day. If your managers get yelled at or told off, you'll often get yelled at or told off in return. While most of your coworkers are stand up folks making the best out of a bad situation, the management seems to have a knack for finding and hiring lazy folks. The kind of people that care minimally for the job and are only there to do the bare minimum they can get away with and walk home with a paycheck. These people aren't fired quick enough, or not fired at all, because usually by the time management listens to our complaints, that person has been there long enough to earn unemployment and they hate paying unemployment almost as much as they hate paying us for working.

Drive-thru times seem to have become, at some juncture, some huge important factor. They've even given certain times of the day certain maximum times. For the most part, 1:45 is exceptional and 2:00 is acceptable. Anything above that and managers have a tendency to flip. I'm fairly sure if they had the physical capacity to do so, they might actually literally flip. Haven't seen it happen yet, though.

Anyway, unrealistic expectations are the general theme that you'll notice in reviews here on Glassdoor. Many items are added to the menu, but rarely removed. New rules and programs are added monthly. In the span of a week, I've had to sign papers for sexual harassment and drug control pamphlets, so that I understand that both of these things are bad. You don't say, guys? Failure to sign these sheets when asked mean immediate termination. Best of all, you don't have the time to read what these sheets say, so you can only make broad assumptions. Spectacular!

The days have a tendency to go by extremely slowly, even when things get busy. We're fairly sure that the back of the house is a time anomaly where we perceive and experience time differently. That rush that seemed to last forever, where you just served food to the entire county? That was only an hour, and you've still got eight more to go. From the moment you walk in, you're already ready to leave, 'cause you're not at all looking forward to what you're about to walk into.

Long story short, Steak 'n Shake may be a place you want to avoid unless you're extremely desperate and they happen to be hiring. Finding work at most locations of Steak 'n Shake isn't particularly difficult. In a lot of cases, you can walk in, express interest in working there, and be standing in front of the grill making money in less than an hour. That's how amazingly high the turnaround is in this company in general.

Advice to Management

Forcing every location to go 24/7 was an awful idea. Look at financial reports and waive 24/7 for the locations that aren't making the money for it to be a good idea. My location often rarely breaks even between 12 AM and 6 AM. Stop creating new rules and programs unless you're 100% sure they need to be created and enforced. Stop trying to force us to work Christmas Day and start letting us have back our other holidays. I want to actually have a nice Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve/Day with my family, not flip burgers for all the lonely old people. I have my theories as to why they've been recently pushing/insisting for us to work Christmas Day, but I can't put them here, since it's apparently against the Glassdoor guidelines to point out the obvious.

The company is in such disarray that I'm surprised anything gets done. Start hiring people with experience in the industry instead of hiring Wendy and Burger King's leftover scraps. Start giving us more money and incentives to take on the additional work and responsibility of becoming a trainer or management, even if that means increasing the prices of food. Give us a reason to improve your company with our experience besides, 'Oh, you kinda get a free meal every day and a little more money.'

Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake

1. "helpful"

Pros

Can grow into management from all levels

Cons

work a lot of hours typical of restaurant business

Advice to Management

staff up management

"Very high standards for you but expect nothing from them!"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay check- employed- airconditioned- I dunno.....free meal as long as its under $6

Cons

Unrealistic metfics- horrible clientel that is invited in for discounts and freebies- they raise hell until they ruin your day. Threshold for customer complaints is set too low for a low class clientel for you to get a decent bonus. Corporate is not nice by any stretch of the imagination. Do not expect to be treated with respect its just not a priority culturewise

Advice to Management

Keep looking!