Steak n Shake - Hourly Associate - Pretty Much What You'd Expect | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

"Hourly Associate - Pretty Much What You'd Expect"

Former Employee - Production
Former Employee - Production

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked as an hourly employee makin grub. No real pros honestly, just a way to make a buck or two. I guess if a 30% food discount really lights your lamp then this is the place to be.

Cons

Had a manager quit in the middle of a shift one night
2 employees were fired in 2 months of working there
No benefits for hourlies; very strict on food leakage at my location
Wound up working dish, fountain, and prep. When I got done with that, I was cleaning ceilings, pipes, the freezers, and the parking lot. Earned every cent of that $7.25

Advice to Management

I understand management doesn't care about their hourlies, but I wonder if promoting better would improve workflow at locations. Our managers were either quitting or smoking pot, how do you expect the site to run well?

Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake

"Worst company on the planet. Stay away!"

Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They will hire anyone. Great way to get a paycheck. Nearly impossible to get fired, lots of worthless people that will never get fired because the company is constantly short handed. Opportunity for uneducated people to get into management.

Cons

Micromanagement from every level. 5 10 hour shifts always turn into 12 hours or more. No quality of life, horrible benefits, no respect for hard work, crazy stressful, unrealistic goals, outdated computer software, impossible to bonus, high turnover, always short handed. Pointless paperwork, poor leadership, no direction, coupons everywhere, negative reinforcement. Upper management uses fear to motivate you. In 10 years I had 11 different district managers. Most managers quit within the first month. Please, if you have any choice at all find something else. This company does not care about its employees.
    Plan on working Christmas, they are now open on that day. There is money to be made that day, hate to miss an opportunity to sell some steakburgers!
    Sardar is a heartless CEO that only cares about his assets and stocks. I once heard him on a conference call say that we, as employees, should never want to leave work and that we should always put Steak 'n Shake first in our priorities.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees, forget the almighty dollar. Close on Christmas!

"Horrible way of life."

Current Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There hardly are any. You are expected to commit to standards that are just not achievable.

Cons

If you don't commit to those standards you are reprimanded like a child. From the CEO to the District Managers. Or ANYONE involved in the training department.

Advice to Management

Sell It.