Steak n Shake - Need better managers..Definitely need to make changes. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

"Need better managers..Definitely need to make changes."

Former Employee - Server/Hostess in Burlington, NC
Former Employee - Server/Hostess in Burlington, NC

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can take vacation time whenever you want as long as you let them know a a few days ahead of time. Interview is not very long, you can start training and working almost immediately. You can make good tips if you work hard.

Cons

Leaderships needs to change. Managers do not do their jobs very well, the schedule is all over the place..not enough structure.

Advice to Management

Need better opportunities for raises. Need to replace managers.

Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake

"The concept of this business is what brings it down"

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Well Rounded Front of the House Experience
    It is a great place to start off because as a server, you are literally doing EVERYTHING. You are a cashier, hostess, busser, and, of course, an actual server. Often times you might have to make your own shakes or food. If anyone was smart, they could use this experience and elaborate in an interview.

2. The Tips
    Also as a server you will usually make anywhere from $10 - $20 a hour with tips. Some nights will be bad, but for someone needing to just make some money it's better than working a similar job at minimum wage. So with someone with little experience you can probably get hired here and make decent money.

Cons

1. Management
    MANAGEMENT is TERRIBLE. The assistant manager, who quit, was very temperamental and always yelling for no particular reason. She was very unprofessional and racked up CUSTOMER complaints because she would throw receipts at them and just have a bad attitude. Working with her felt degraded. The general manager would be hard to communicate with and when he said he would do something, he would forget. If you wanted to even ask a few days off it was expected you would have to ask or notify multiple times just to make sure it would get done. We were ALWAYS out of something, sometimes essential things like receipt paper or ice cream. I have not come across any good, hard working, or professional managers here.

2. The Work
    I said in my pros that having so many roles is good for experience...but on the job, it can be a hassle if it's busy. Sometimes I have been the only server or one of two...and maybe that's okay when it is slow but if it gets a little busy then everyone is in the weeds. In that case, there is not really a team quality enforced or idealized here so only some coworkers will help you out. If your whole table orders shakes and you have to make them? It is a NIGHTMARE. Especially if you have over five tables. Shakes here take TIME and when you are making them as a server, you basically are put in a situation to ignore your customers. They really need to have someone available to do shakes at all times of the day, even overnights.

3. The Kitchen
    If you have great people working kitchen stations, everybody seems a little happy. I have seen a lot of lazy people do kitchen stations and they will take obnoxiously long for one order when it's not even busy (30 minutes). The managers don't really get on these people and NEED TO.

4. It's 24 hours and cheap food
    This principle alone brings in the rude, the dirty, the cheap, the homeless, the puking, aggressive drunks, and everyone in between. You'll have to put up with so much with the customers here. SOME ARE GREAT but many of them are their for a cheap meal and won't tip, even if you gave them good service. IF you're a female, drunk or crude guys will make passes at you during third shift. You WILL make tips here and earn more than minimum wage but for a LOT OF WORK and putting up with people. You can make better tips somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and efficient! Learn how to do inventory...And invest in an employee dedicated to the shake station.

2. "FIne as a high school job"

Current Employee - Server in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to keep all tips and had pretty decent scheduling. Culture is nice assuming you are friends with everyone.

Cons

So much disorganization and favoritism. Way too many inappropriate relations and interactions between managers and employees. The district management is horrible. I was constantly doing way more than I supposed to be doing and always had to cross over into other areas to get stuff done.

Advice to Management

Be professional.