Steelcase - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI
Current Employee - IT Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Quality people working in a quality company. Lots of great knowledge and enthusiasm.

Cons

The greatest concern is senior management's lack of focus on or experience with manufacuring and engineering. They want "lean" but don't realize that it goes back to core competencies in the core business.

Advice to Management

Marketing and finance will not fuel this company into the future - understanding our core business and customers will. After understanding our core mission you need a strong focus on this throughout the business. Today this is very vague.

Other Employee Reviews for Steelcase

"Teamwork, casual atmosphere, innovative company"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Casual work environment is nice. I can wear pretty much anything to work and I talk casually with my co-workers often.

Steelcase is full of down-to-earth, respectful people who want to help you.

Team-oriented work - lots of collaboration on projects.

Innovative company - lots of good products

Cons

Hard to get up to speed on all the product information because it is fairly complex and most people don't come in with a ton of prior knowledge about office furniture. With that said, there are a lot of classes you can take through "Steelcase University" to learn and grow in your job. I have taken about 5 online courses in just 6 months. The courses are somewhat boring and/or offer "textbook" type answers, but they provide a good framework and background knowledge about the inter-workings of the company.

Another con is that the office furniture Industry, like many other industries right now (2009-2010), is not doing so well. Therefore, Steelcase has had to make layoffs in recent months. We are doing our best to minimize this trend, but it is rather inevitable.

Lastly, as an intern, I have to do "grunt work" like moving boxes or furniture from one building to the next. That's to be expected, but it still is not very fun.

Advice to Management

Please continue innovating and making Steelcase ahead of the curve!

"A place I am proud to be a part of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

promote a balance of life and work. Recognize skills and willing to listen to all points of view. I believe it will be a company that is at the forefront of the industry now and in the future.

Cons

Things move rather slowly. Not enough good, proven processes that everyone in the company can work by. Not enough diversity in the employee base; a lot of 50+ white males.

Advice to Management

Find a way to bring more diversity to the employee base. Use your global presense to bring new ideas and ways of doing things differently back to west michigan.