Stein Mart - Business model is not customer focused and environment is highly stressful. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stein Mart

"Business model is not customer focused and environment is highly stressful."

Current Employee - Store Associate in North Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Store Associate in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Stein Mart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are very nice and supportive. All realize they are in the same situation. Customers like the store and selection. They understand to not expect high degree of customer service. Some great values available customers.

Cons

Management is concerned only about how the store looks and is disorganized. Store is extremely understaffed and requirements made on associates is overwhelming. Most are unhappy and morale low. Does not reflect a professionally run company. Hired as sales associate, a function that is extremely low on the priority scale. If more emphasis was placed on selling, no telling where this company could go.

Advice to Management

Talk to associates without making them fear retribution. Only interaction with associates is providing directives for the next 5 minutes. Directives are a moving target. When Senior Management visits a store, they should spend some time with associates and not ignore them like they are a disease.

Other Employee Reviews for Stein Mart

"have lots of autonomy vs. other places i have worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    very entrepreneurial
    Lots of freedom to do the job the way you think it should be done

Cons

Pay is awful and AT LEAST 25% LOWER than other Retailers for the same job.
    On top of the horrible pay, there is NOT Enough people to get the job done.
    So you work like a dog and are substantially underpaid!

Advice to Management

Do some competitive Salary Surveys and fix it. You are losing and will continue to lose good Stein Mart people to other companies.
    What a shame.

2. "I worked as a Visual Merchandiser for 9.5 years."

Former Employee - Visual Display Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Visual Display Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Stein Mart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I liked having the freedom of doing my own job with little supervision. I was the only visual person in the store which allowed me to control the look of the store.

Cons

Stein Mart has changed to a more standard approach no longer requiring a visual merchandiser. I used to make up floral arrangements, purchased props for individual displays, which was very creative. I think that this approach made my job less appealing because there was less need for individual creativity. The pay scale is also very low for this type of position.

Advice to Management

I believe that Stein Mart has not necessarily changed for the better. I think that they need to stay focused on who their customer base is and bring back more of the unique touches that made Stein Mart different from other department stores. I also believe that they should make sure that their pay scale is in line with other competitors to keep good employees.