Stella & Dot - All work and no play; work hard / don't play hard | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stella & Dot

"All work and no play; work hard / don't play hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Employees are all working diligently constantly trying to get the work done.

Cons

Each employee handles work load of 2-3 positions.

Advice to Management

This environment breeds only short timers.

Other Employee Reviews for Stella & Dot

"Not what they claim"

Former Employee - Independent Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Independent Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Stella & Dot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customer service for Stylists is great, generally speaking.

Cons

You need to have wealthy friends - or friends that have wealthy friends - because S&D stuff is expensive. You have to be ok with your Up-line being pushy - toward you! They make money when you do, so they push you to sell, sell, sell. It's not really "be your own boss". You have to be "pushy" to sell. Also they taut that you make 50% profit as a Stylist but in actuality, you make about 16% net, after you deduct all the "real" expenses. I found it wasn't really worth it. My samples & my clients' samples broke numerous times and considering the price point of the brand, the quality of crafstmanship should be way above-board. I quit as a Stylist for all of these reasons.

Advice to Management

Be truthful about how much % profit/salary a Stylist makes as you recruit.

"Feel Like A Sucker"

Former Employee - Independent Stylist in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Independent Stylist in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Stella & Dot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cute jewelry. Some nice people. Would be fun if you've got friends with cash to burn.

Cons

I don't know if this is so much a negative review of Stella & Dot as it is the multi-level marketing experience in general. But nonetheless it happened to be Stella & Dot that suckered me in, so here goes:

I had a friend who started selling Stella & Dot, and signed up to be on her "team." I had serious, serious reservations, knowing that this was multi level marketing, but thought "why not give it a try? She says she's making money."

Well, bottom line, as we all know, is that to be successful in MLM you have to have friends, or at least a network of people you know, with a lot of disposable income. Unfortunately for me, I did not. Stella & Dot's jewelry is pricey, and I had numerous friends I invited to shows say things like "I was going to come until I saw how much the jewelry is." Heck, I thought the same thing when I went to my friend's first party.

Additionally, I witnessed my friend, and myself, becoming the type of person we all hate-the kind of person who is extremely pushy when it comes to making pitches for hosting parties, joining the "team" etc. Looking back now I'm actually rather embarrassed about it.

Finally, I echo what others have said about the quality of the jewelry. Definitely not worth the price. I had a pair of earrings that retailed for $75 break within a few months of owning them. The quality of the product is definitely not worth the price.

At the end of the day, I have felt extremely silly at being taken in by this pyramid scheme, Luckily all I paid into to joint was about $200, but to be honest I don't even think I made that back.