Stella & Dot - Amazing, powerful leadership with a focus on entrepreneurialism | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stella & Dot

"Amazing, powerful leadership with a focus on entrepreneurialism"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Pros

The top management is very focused on the expansion of the company, and in the CEO's words, "put more money in the hands of our valued Stylists". We internal folks behind the scenes at this powerhouse e-commerce DSA jewelry and lifestyle company live & breathe the mantra every day. We also are very focused the creation of a new platform to enhance the end user experience and create a unique social selling platform that will make our competitors cringe and scamper to copy. The Sequoia infusion of capital was just another testimony to the benchstrength we have in the top management team.

Cons

Seriously not many yet. They preach work/life balance, but as we all know during busy periods that is pretty much ignored and several departments have several employees burning the midnight oil to meet company-wide deliverables. The overall benefits package needs a complete and utter rehaul, and they can't seem to find an HR manager to suit the company's current needs plus growth, and the employees are still waiting......

Advice to Management

Keep it going strong! A few small fixes to the employee benefit package, perhaps more mid-managment meetings across departmental lines to enhance communications. Not a whole lot of gripes honestly.

Other Employee Reviews for Stella & Dot

"1% make money in an MLM. I was not one of them."

Former Freelancer - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Freelancer - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Stella & Dot (More than a year)

Pros

Products are good quality. Some good sales.

Cons

-Disorganized/poor support: Calling the "delight" team is not such a delight. You can be put on hold/wait on chat for an hour or more. Different customer service reps will tell you different things. Got a complaint? Where do you go? I still don't know. My "upline" that recruited me quit. The girl above her said to consult her and I'd be reassigned someone. Never happened. Communication/service with consultants is awful, There is no training.

-You will not make money: 1% of people in /MLM's make money. The rest lose it. I was one of the 99%. You hear about exciting cruises and bonuses and all this crap, but what they don't say is that you have to recruit several people under you and THEY have to be doing well for you to even start to see a marginal profit. Towing the line between MLM and Pyramid Scheme. Your "training" are ridiculous sets of motivational videos that don't give you any customer service training whatsoever.
    -These items are expensive : if you are wealthy and have a ton of friends wanting to buy jewelry, great. If not, you're going to fail. Most of my friends cannot afford a 100.00 necklace. And while they are nice, they aren't worth the price. The charm and signature necklace i was excited to get was flimsy and cheap looking. The charms i paid for didn't even fit on it. But to return it, I would get next to nothing back, so didn't bother. They encourage you to use social media. Would you like for your friend to be constantly pestering you to buy earrings? Neither did mine. It gets uncomfortable.
    -Any "home business" that tells you to fork over money up front is a scamalamadingdong. End of story. This isn't your own business. It's Stella and Dot's business, and you are their client. The more people they get to sign up, the more money the head honchos make. Painful truth.
    -The "Visa" they give you preloaded with your "wages" stinks. You get dinged everytime you withdraw from it to your bank account or use it , and the service fees are ridiculous.
    -There is little to no support. I was supposed to have a mentor and a facebook support group. All it basically was was my mentor on my butt constantly pestering me to sell, sell, sell, and then the facebook group was just a bunch of silly contests seeing who can sell the most, little to no support.
    -If you don't make it, it's your fault: Not selling? it's not the company's fault. It's yours because you aren't working hard enough.Well, i busted my butt. I had a Facebook pro page, a group, tried to sell in person, etc. I think I made about 40 and was in the hole over 200 or more including that. This stuff doesn't sell unless you live somewhere where people fork over 200 bucks at a time for jewellery. I'm middle class, and the people I know don't, or only can occasionally. It's demographic, nothing to do with you, and the fact that the company is run like a three-ring circus.
    -"trunk shows" are awful: This is when you convince your friend to do a trunk show online or in person, basically hosting a "party" where they sell the stuff under you . the hostess gets nothing unless they sell about 250- 500 bucks worth of product. That is crap. no one i knew ever did that. I ended up buying them a small token gift out of my own pocket. They would work hard, get nothing, and not want to do it again. Who can blame them?

Advice to Management

Be realistic. Tell people they likely won't make money up front, as that's what happens. Have ACTUAL support in the form of a customer service, professionally trained mentor. One that is employed and gets a salary.

This is not a "Career opportunity'. A career is something you are professionally qualified for and is stable. It's laughable to think that anyone but 1% of people actually feed their family and pay bills doing this. They don't. And the minority that do often lose everything when they stop. Pension plan? nope. Health benefits? nope. This is not a career. it's basically a door to door salesperson in a digital world. Your policies, procedures, and treatment of clients and employees need a huge overhaul.

2. "I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Stella & Dot (Less than a year)

Pros

Work your own hours, no boss, not very stressful. The jewelry is nice, you get to buy things at half off.

Cons

You have to be constantly hustling, your customer pool dries up fairly quickly. At the end of the day you feel like you’re bothering your friends and family.

Advice to Management

Up lines should be more sociable, there is no real sense of community unless you’re making the big bucks. It’s pretty solitary work.