Sterling Jewelers - Assistant Manager | Glassdoor

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers health care benefits. They also offer 401k. The better the store performs the more money employees make on commission.

Cons

The company doesn't advertise for all logos. Raises for employees hired in a low pay is unfair, and often will over look even if they employee is performing well.

Advice to Management

Take notice of those employees doing a great job for you.

Other Employee Reviews for Sterling Jewelers

"Sales first, People LAST"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Health insurance is very good. EVERY other aspect of working for this giant is a con though. CONS: They spend most of their time putting out fires at problem locations instead of building teams and relationships and developing people to foster change, they profile people with personality tests and go nuts about stupid things like a sign that an employee placed in the wrong window- they treat grown ups like children scolding and belittle them in front of other employees and customers. There is no culture, no structure, and people come LAST. I waited two years to write this so I would not be emotional but there is nothing good to say about this company, and I have worked for them in a multiple of states (3).

Cons

Assistant Managers are treated live slaves and store managers bartered like livestock. The company does not care about the talent and people that work at any location. The corporation creates "HOLIDAYS" or "special Events" because they think they are Halmark and create holidays that don't exist to make more sales. GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY They scare and intimidate people to get a sale at any cost, including integrity and threats...not a great atmosphere where they pit one against the other and MAKE PROMISES THEY HAVE NO INTENTION ON HONORING. I was the ONLY five of Five writer in the store consistently for all five years and my reward was a certificate that the paper wasn't even high enough quality to wipe with. If I could give Zero stars I would.

Advice to Management

District managers should ALL be fired, along with Vice Pesidents !!! They need to start from scratch with a new mindset of people first things second. Also they should offer quality products instead of the crap they are now trying to pass as high quality, their charms are a joke as are the quality of their H line pearls and their cheap tacky silver collections...without the higher end pieces they had in past years sales cant line up. you can not sell 49 dollar products to a hundred people to make up for a five thousand dollar piece that is no longer available., also lowering the guest credit line does not help. This is from someone that maintained a five of five for the five years I worked for the company, but had to leave because lies, broken promises and Failure of Sterling to meet any expectation I had for an employer. Ultimately this employer is a HUGE FAIL!!

"Lots of backstabbing, but great discount!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great discount (sometimes up to 50% off regular price)
    - Most stores have very flexible schedules (during non-holidays and depending on Store Manager)

Cons

- A lot of backstabbing - Most will steal sales
    - A lot of emphasis on making 6 out of 6 goals (i.e. sales, add-ons, repair sales, insurance sales, payment protection plans, and credit card applications), many fired when not making sales goal during special events (diamond shows)
    - Be prepared to be blamed for stealing someone’s customers

Advice to Management

Make employees work together as a team. Give fair sales goals because some people are always on the floor making sales, while others with same goals are required to do daily merchandise piece counts, fix watch batteries (for $10), clean fingerprints on showcase, etc.