Sterling Jewelers - Great company but very demanding | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers

"Great company but very demanding"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sterling, VA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Sterling, VA

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very caring organization, benefits as a manager if you meet your goals are fantastic!

Cons

Very demanding and if you do not meet your goals you will be miserable

Other Employee Reviews for Sterling Jewelers

"You definitely earn your dollar!"

Current Employee - Jeweler/Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Jeweler/Shop Manager

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can see why working for a Sterling company as a sales associate can be incredibly stressful. Their standards are crazy, but on the other hand, they are necessary. As a retail corporation, they have to set aggressive standards. It means more money for them and, in turn, more money for you. In the repair shop, we have standards as well and it can get stressful if you allow it to.

Pros: awesome benefits, opportunities to learn (home office classes, DCA, GIA for shop managers-i definitely will be taking full advantage of these), GREAT discount on merchandise as well. If you have a good team in your shop, you really won't have to worry about too much. I have a great group of jewelers and apprentices as well as some outstanding people in my district that are willing to help when needed. JOB SECURITY! There is always work to which is something other competitors really can't promise.

My district manager doesn't micromanage (thank goodness)! She lets the shop managers run their shop. Downside, if your shop is doing really well, she won't come visit that much, this can be good and bad really. Good because who wants to see the DM all the time? But bad because the jewelers really enjoy that special attention and conversations from higher management. I know because I felt that way before I made management.

Cons

Cons: as I said before, it can be stressful if you let it. We do have standards to maintain (i.e. repair margins, supply dollars, quality control, etc). The majority of the standards are relatively...not easy to obtain, but very doable if you run your shop correctly. The toughest is the repair margins because you have VERY LITTLE control over it. It all depends on what the sales associates are charging in the stores. If they are charging correctly, then it affects your margins, which I think is completely unfair. The jewelers' bonuses are 100% based on whether or not the repair margin goal is met and the managers' bonus can be deducted, i think 15%, if it is not.

Recruiting....they want you to recruit new hires to have on the back burner. This isn't impossible but can be time consuming. I just choose not to do it unless I have to (shhh...don't tell lol)

LONG HOURS! As management, be expected to work 45 hrs a week (not too bad) until you hit the holidays then it is a fuzzy blur of 55-60 hr work weeks for about a month. But, it's retail so...should expect it.

Also, I wish the jewelry some of these stores sell was better quality. We literally fix the same things over and over again. They are starting to really push custom designs now which I support completely to get people away from buying some of the crap out the case.

My reason for 4 stars is simply because it isn't perfect. There are some things that I don't fully agree with but I do love working in my shop. All in all, life in the shop is what you make it.

Advice to Management

Don't forget where you came from. Many DM's and higher ups started out in the repair shops as apprentices but once they get the high position, they "forget" about how things really run. Why not let those in the shop make suggestions on what some standards should be. If anyone really knows, we do.

"Boy what a Company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company that only care about senior management, and how they can make More money at the employees and customers expense. This is such a bad company I believe there will be many many more LAWSUITS!!

Cons

There really is not anything positive it is ALL BAD. This company is the worst

Advice to Management

TREAT EMPLOYEE AS YOU DO YOURSELF. PAY THEM LIKE YOU SHOULD. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU...