Stevens Transport - Seems like all student driver companies are the same | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stevens Transport

"Seems like all student driver companies are the same"

Former Intern - Student Driver in Dallas, TX
Former Intern - Student Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding training; teaching students how to be safe on the road and protect the motoring public. Good training procedures with two 4 day classes and two times out on the road, once with a driver trainer and once with another student driver.

Cons

Poor management, lack of respect or courtesy for the drivers and students, low pay rate for students compared to other companies. The new drivers don't make as much money because the drivers with seniority or in the Alliance lease program will get the best loads.

Advice to Management

Admit when you make mistakes and don't be so hard nosed on your students.

Other Employee Reviews for Stevens Transport

"A Good Place To Start"

Current Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training program is by far one of the BEST! Home Time is not a problem but for me it's because I live where freight goes to and the Prima Donas Drivers don't want to drive into(NYC). Actually getting anywhere is not a problem if you work it correctly. Best equipment by far. For the current drivers not happy-go somewhere else. You will find it's the same at another company just painted in a different color. Especially once the Honeymoon is over. Communicating with different departments for ME is not an issue but then again it's ALL on how you conduct yourself while on the phone. Give attitude expect some back!! If you are looking to start into the industry it's a great place to start however if you're looking to make BIG BUCKS instantly try somewhere else.

Cons

Too much emphasis on the Leasing Program. Seems like you get more recognition on the Alliance side. Really don't care to hear about all the completions,bonus,etc over the Qualcom. Otherwise not a bad place to work

Advice to Management

Wish there was a better method of getting through on the weekends. Staffing is too light for the amount of drivers out here.

"Stevens School Comes First, Trucking and Drivers Come Second..."

Former Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Training Program takes about 6 months start to finish. They will pay for your Passport card and your Hazmat endorsement, and tell you you will get more miles, sure it's more miles but you will sit for hours without a load. " I am not mad or disgruntled with Stevens, I am telling you this so if you go to work for them you will go in with eyes wide open. Do not loose your home, spouse, and family because you are uninformed, I had to watch this happen to one to many drivers in my year there.

Cons

Nothing is what it seems. After being there a year I learned the trucking side of Stevens is nothing more than a write off for the school side that they are making millions on. Students usually quit within the first year and still have to payback the loan. I was not a student nor had a loan with them. I stayed a company driver and never fell prey to their Alliance program, no new driver should go with this program til you have One year solo with them and can be a Trainer to keep the truck moving to make the payments. As a company driver I could run 600 to 650 miles per day, but had a lot of waiting on loads and never seemed to keep you rolling as promised. Pay was horrible compared to other companies out there but then they do not care they have plenty of students to take your place. A lot of out of route miles you do not get paid for , they pay zip code to zip code. Lucky if you get 1500 miles a week.

Advice to Management

It's really to bad this could be a really nice company if upper management did their job, listened to their drivers and really cared about them as they said, instead they just put in their time degrade people and just collect their fat paycheck every week.. Wish Mr. Aaron Stevens was really in tune to what is happening to his company if I could sit down one on one with him I am positive that the wool that's pulled over his eyes would be uncovered and all H___ would break loose.