Stinson Morrison Hecker - Too many issues being ignored | Glassdoor
  1. "Too many issues being ignored"

Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time

Pros

1. The staff and attorneys in general are all very nice. I worked at Stinson for more than 10 years and built some great friendships. 2. Some departments, like Accounting, were good at encouraging staff development and training. 3. The IT department provides great in-house training for staff and attorneys. I learned a lot from them over the years. 4. Nice environment.The interior spaces are being renovated... even though they were nice as-is. 5. Attorneys and staff seem to really care about client success. Attorneys typically work well in a team environment.

Cons

1. My former boss was very caring in wanted her staff to succeed, grow, etc. My latest boss was more concerned with making himself look good and lost sight of the need for professional growth among our team. He encouraged professional development, but he didn't give you time to do it. Plus, he actually asked a staff person why she was even bothering with getting her MBA because he wasn't going to promote her. Very... rude and demeaning. 2. We also had issues with some team members not having clear-cut job descriptions. This meant that some of us were doing the majority of work, while others were spending time traveling to meetings and creating more work for others. Of course, the planning/meeting people were paid about twice what the workers bees are paid. So that doesn't help the situation. 3. People were not replaced if they quit. It could take months to years to hire a new replacement that was perfect enough for the hiring manager. Sometimes, they didn't replace a staff member at all. They would just want the other team members to pick up the slack. I know this isn't abnormal, but it's very frustrating when it occurs so frequently. 4. Bonuses were given to attorneys and some staff, but not all. My department never gave out bonuses even though I felt like we deserved them. My boss told people that our department was OK, but no one went above and beyond their duties to get a bonus. Maybe that's because we were all so bogged down in work that we didn't have time to take on extra projects. Again, staff your department better so that they don't burn out.

Advice to Management

The overall firm management is fine. I had no issues with them. My problem was with our hiring managers and some C-Suite execs. There were certain execs that only worked a few days a week while their small staff handled the majority of their work. Those staff eventually burned out and left. Even some of the new staff hires have recently left after figuring out what's going on. Firm Management needs to stop this from... happening or certain departments will never be able to retain good staff because of their poor leadership.

Stinson Morrison Hecker2013-08-28

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker

Pros

Great environment to work in and friendly management.

Cons

There weren't any cons working here.

Advice to Management

No advice to the management

Stinson Morrison Hecker2016-03-29
  2. "Not a staff friendly environment"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you want just a job and are not looking for anything else you might be okay.

Cons

Management has no clue what is going on with their staff. Staff reports directly to HR which is a conflict of interest. So staff do not have any support in any way. HR people do not know the legal field so they keep making changes that create more work for the staff. HR does not understand that the staff have spent years learning their particular field of expertise just like an attorney.

Advice to Management

Replace all your HR staff with qualified, experienced personnel with a legal firm background. Staff should report to their direct managers (timekeepers) and HR should be where staff goes for help and support and mediation and, of course, to facilitate hiring.

Stinson Morrison Hecker2017-09-12

Discover more reviews about Stinson Morrison Hecker.