Stinson Morrison Hecker - Excellent regional firm with national reach. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Stinson Morrison Hecker

"Excellent regional firm with national reach."

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time

Pros

Work with skilled lawyers servicing sophisticated clients.

Cons

Multiple offices can make it difficult to have a steady flow of work within your practice area.

Other Employee Reviews for Stinson Morrison Hecker

1. "Too many issues being ignored"

Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time

Pros

1. The staff and attorneys in general are all very nice. I worked at Stinson for more than 10 years and built some great friendships.

2. Some departments, like Accounting, were good at encouraging staff development and training.

3. The IT department provides great in-house training for staff and attorneys. I learned a lot from them over the years.

4. Nice environment.The interior spaces are being renovated even though they were nice as-is.

5. Attorneys and staff seem to really care about client success. Attorneys typically work well in a team environment.

Cons

1. My former boss was very caring in wanted her staff to succeed, grow, etc. My latest boss was more concerned with making himself look good and lost sight of the need for professional growth among our team. He encouraged professional development, but he didn't give you time to do it. Plus, he actually asked a staff person why she was even bothering with getting her MBA because he wasn't going to promote her. Very rude and demeaning.

2. We also had issues with some team members not having clear-cut job descriptions. This meant that some of us were doing the majority of work, while others were spending time traveling to meetings and creating more work for others. Of course, the planning/meeting people were paid about twice what the workers bees are paid. So that doesn't help the situation.

3. People were not replaced if they quit. It could take months to years to hire a new replacement that was perfect enough for the hiring manager. Sometimes, they didn't replace a staff member at all. They would just want the other team members to pick up the slack. I know this isn't abnormal, but it's very frustrating when it occurs so frequently.

4. Bonuses were given to attorneys and some staff, but not all. My department never gave out bonuses even though I felt like we deserved them. My boss told people that our department was OK, but no one went above and beyond their duties to get a bonus. Maybe that's because we were all so bogged down in work that we didn't have time to take on extra projects. Again, staff your department better so that they don't burn out.

Advice to Management

The overall firm management is fine. I had no issues with them. My problem was with our hiring managers and some C-Suite execs. There were certain execs that only worked a few days a week while their small staff handled the majority of their work. Those staff eventually burned out and left. Even some of the new staff hires have recently left after figuring out what's going on. Firm Management needs to stop this from happening or certain departments will never be able to retain good staff because of their poor leadership.

2. "Well Managed Law Firm"

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management has strong leadership, has grown out of previously centralization, and has added a middle management layer that cuts across geographic boundaries and adds a horizontal management layer. Steady leadership avoided debt and managed the firm through the recession. Some genuine talent in financial transactions, commercial litigation, and energy.

Cons

Not every practice group has genuine depth; management was still growing into and maturing its new structure, and slow progress toward firm's strategic goals.

Advice to Management

Accelerate your plans -- too slow to implement, make changes, and go in the direction you have selected. There will always be critics and negative opinions, but your direction has been selected, and you need to get there faster. Besides, it's a solid, reliable direction to go.