Stop & Shop - Good experience | Glassdoor

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meet all sorts of different people
raise every 6 months
friendly co workers

Cons

long standing hours (feet may hurt)

Other Employee Reviews for Stop & Shop

1. "met some really nice people, but management was terrible"

Current Employee - Cashier in Pennington, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pennington, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

learn about customer service and how to deal with angry customers; make new friends

Cons

not flexible with hours and wouldn't let me work 2 jobs

"Thriving but imperfect."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Greenville, RI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Greenville, RI

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stop & Shop does a lot right: it's extremely customer-focused, offers a steady guaranteed income, is typically flexible with scheduling, and has a strong and successful business model. Part-time associates are guaranteed 15 hours per week with optional rotational Sundays, and full-time associates are guaranteed 40 hours per week with the same deal for Sundays, which are always time and a half. It's a great first job, college job, or long-term career; with so many roles within such a large company, there is endless opportunity if sought. In my career with Stop & Shop, I've had mostly positive experiences with my co-workers at all levels; the customers who shop in our stores are more pleasant than not, and each store has its own personality. All part-time and full-time associates at store level, with the exception of the store management team, belong to a union, which may be considered a positive aspect of the job: low-cost health, dental, vision, and life insurance for both part-time and full-time employees after 1 year; job protection; guaranteed yearly raise (though it's not a lot, it's at least something), and guaranteed hours regardless of sales. Full-time associates are offered college tuition reimbursement, and medical benefits extend to cover spouses and children for a low cost. Union members also have paid sick time, personal days, and vacation weeks, as well as time and a half on most holidays.

Cons

Unfortunately, it's been in my experience that there's a disconnect between the corporate offices and the stores. The individuals who create policies and make decisions about in-store operations have largely never worked at store level; while their ideas may work on paper, there are a lot of variables that do not seem to be considered which cause these changes to be more harmful than good. It's also too often the case that the hours allowed for scheduling are insufficient for the volume of work to be done in a week, which brings unnecessary stress to a job that should be pretty straight-forward. Part of my problem with this is simply compensation: while the company is thriving and there is money to be had from upper management through the corporate offices, union employees are paid based partially on job title, but mostly on seniority. With this pay scheme, performance is never a consideration, which is a huge bummer if you work hard, since someone else who may not be pulling their weight is making the same; sufficient compensation would make the added stress of being in a position of responsibility. It's also worth mentioning that jobs that were previously filled by a higher-paid salaried person are being filled with hourly union workers for a fraction of the pay, which is definitely not a good way to motivate someone who's performing well in that role.

Advice to Management

You're doing a lot right for your customers, but you should really up the ante for your employees. The associates at store level are the face of the company: without them, you would not be able to expand as you have. Spread the wealth. As the company has grown over the last four or five years, there seems to have been a significant breakdown in communication; you really should fix that. Communication is key, as most problems could very easily be avoided. I also can't help but ask you to question your hiring and training decisions: are the right people performing jobs that are appropriate for their particular skills, and are the correct people being held accountable for the decisions being made? In-store experience matters, and it would be beneficial for the company to communicate better between the corporate offices and the stores that service your customers each and every day. There will be much fewer hiccups at store level if everyone communicated a little better and checks and balances were performed as frequently in corporate as they are in the stores. I've had an overall positive experience in my 8 years, but there needs to be a bit of reevaluation at the top in order for the company to continue to thrive and maintain satisfied employees and customers alike.