Storm8 - Some growing pains but really good culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Storm8

"Some growing pains but really good culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are awesome, hard working and talented.
Everyone is very respectful of each other and super chill. Not a lot of drama.
Very top light. Founders are super nice.
Lots of real gamers work here, which means that lots of people are always pushing for fun and game-play, which is rare in free to play casual game development.
Pimp your desk competition where the studio gives you money to make your desk unique.
Dog friendly.
Culture is somehow being kept, despite the rapid growth. There is a focus on hiring nice people.
Very well-stocked kitchen.
Good benefits package, gym in the vicinity is basically free.

Cons

Founders are very involved, which sometimes is bad, and sometimes good.
Decision making tends to be driven by money making more than fun, but there are enough people fighting for fun that generally some fun is achieved by the time a game submits.
Hard to have your hard work acknowledged unless the game is monetizing well.
Loud work environment. Feels crammed sometimes.
Sticking to quarterly plans doesn't always happen. Lots of last minute crunching.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are present through the development of each project, if you are going to be involved. It's frustrating to have directors and founders be absent through the beginning of a project, only to swoop down and make tons of demands towards the end. Also, make sure to reward people's hard work regardless of the success of the game.

Other Employee Reviews for Storm8

"This Company is nothing more than a Money-Greedy Zynga Clone"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly artists, designers, and producers.

- Chance to make you own title once every 6 months during the company's "Hackathon" event.

- Free lunches & dinners every Monday thru Friday (10 meals a week), including vegetarian options at each meal.

- A few special interest groups for dog lovers, Starcraft players, beer connoisseurs, assuming your workload allows you time to enjoy these things.

Cons

- The games Storm8 makes are all clones of titles Zynga or Popcap make that are proven to be profitable. Up until now, Storm8 is not willing to take a risk on coming up with an innovative game.

- Some of the Hackathon game ideas employees make are wonderful, but upper management refuses to use any of them because they only care about things that make money and never want to task risks.

- As a software engineer, once you are assigned to a group at the 2-month point, you are stuck in that group and can never transfer.

- Some of the decisions team leads and managers make are short-sighted, resulting in a lack of communication between different teams, and prohibitively more time to market than needed.

- Every team is being pushed so hard that unless you are THEIR manager, your ideas get ignored, no matter how helpful they are.

- The company has more than doubled from the point when I started until the point when I finished at the company, but the average workload per person has quadrupled. This is because management thinks that twice the number of people, including engineers, allows them to crank out eight times the number of new games or updates to existing games, but the math clearly doesn't add up. This results in a diminishing work & life balance per employee.

Advice to Management

- Take RISKS, take RISKS, take RISKS. I would absolutely KILL to see Storm8 try for a game that's not some stupid clone of something someone else already made!!! Sometimes you gotta take risks to make the big profits, otherwise, if you're just making Zynga-clones, you're doomed to suffer a similar fate as Zynga.

- Listen to your employees' ideas! You can start with some of the cool stuff people came up with at your OWN company's Hackathon event!!!

- Encourage more idea-sharing between the different groups. This can also help reduce some of the redundancy as the company grows.

2. "Good Times"

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the greatest time working here during my early years. Everyone was friendly, easy to talk to, and felt like family than simply co-workers. The perks and benefits were great. All kinds of snacks and drinks and FREE lunch and dinner.

As for career opportunities for growth, it depends on your manager. Thanks to mine, I was able to learn a lot and grow in my career. She was able to provide a lot of feedback on my work and what I could improve on in the future. If there were any issues or blockers getting in the way of my workflow, she was able to provide whatever I might need to get stuff done.

Cons

Although I was able to grow in my field thanks to my manager. I felt it was hard to transfer into other positions that you might be interested in doing. This is based on what other folks expressed to me and I have to agree.

However, the biggest issue currently I believe is that they aren't making mobile games that are groundbreaking or new. A lot of it is a copycat of another game with some improvements or a reskin of one of our current games. I'm not saying copycats are a bad thing, but it would be nice if they made something completely different with some ideas inspired by other games.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your team! Let them come up with some new ideas and trust them! This is what Supercell does and it works for them! I want you guys to bounce back and be one of the best mobile gaming companies once again.

Miss you all and best of luck.