Storm8 - This Company is nothing more than a Money-Greedy Zynga Clone | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Storm8

"This Company is nothing more than a Money-Greedy Zynga Clone"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly artists, designers, and producers.

- Chance to make you own title once every 6 months during the company's "Hackathon" event.

- Free lunches & dinners every Monday thru Friday (10 meals a week), including vegetarian options at each meal.

- A few special interest groups for dog lovers, Starcraft players, beer connoisseurs, assuming your workload allows you time to enjoy these things.

Cons

- The games Storm8 makes are all clones of titles Zynga or Popcap make that are proven to be profitable. Up until now, Storm8 is not willing to take a risk on coming up with an innovative game.

- Some of the Hackathon game ideas employees make are wonderful, but upper management refuses to use any of them because they only care about things that make money and never want to task risks.

- As a software engineer, once you are assigned to a group at the 2-month point, you are stuck in that group and can never transfer.

- Some of the decisions team leads and managers make are short-sighted, resulting in a lack of communication between different teams, and prohibitively more time to market than needed.

- Every team is being pushed so hard that unless you are THEIR manager, your ideas get ignored, no matter how helpful they are.

- The company has more than doubled from the point when I started until the point when I finished at the company, but the average workload per person has quadrupled. This is because management thinks that twice the number of people, including engineers, allows them to crank out eight times the number of new games or updates to existing games, but the math clearly doesn't add up. This results in a diminishing work & life balance per employee.

Advice to Management

- Take RISKS, take RISKS, take RISKS. I would absolutely KILL to see Storm8 try for a game that's not some stupid clone of something someone else already made!!! Sometimes you gotta take risks to make the big profits, otherwise, if you're just making Zynga-clones, you're doomed to suffer a similar fate as Zynga.

- Listen to your employees' ideas! You can start with some of the cool stuff people came up with at your OWN company's Hackathon event!!!

- Encourage more idea-sharing between the different groups. This can also help reduce some of the redundancy as the company grows.

Other Employee Reviews for Storm8

1. "Awesome culture!"

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people we get to work with everyday are incredibly talented and the culture that has been created is one of the best I've ever worked in.

Cons

The company is growing at a very fast rate so things get a little crazy around here. But we're a start-up so it's to be expected.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue growing this company!

2. "Awesome Work Environment"

I have been working at Storm8 full-time

Pros

Employees are smart, fun and passionate about what they do
    Senior Management is very approachable and accessible
    Open and collaborative work environment
    Different interest groups created by employees that organize events and outings like giants games, starcraft, dance, karaoke, hockey games to name a few
    Game rooms with tons of different console games, pool, ping pong and foosball
    Encourages creativity with pimp your desk competition, where you are giving money to decorate your desk and Hack-a-thon's
    Free lunch and dinner served daily

Cons

The lunch line can be super long on sushi day :)
    Open office environment can be distracting, but there are quiet rooms you can use if needed

Advice to Management

Keep our culture and lines of communication open as we continue to grow