Strand Book Store - Unsatisfactory | Glassdoor

"Unsatisfactory"

Current Employee - Bookstore Clerk in New York, NY
Current Employee - Bookstore Clerk in New York, NY

Pros

The people I worked with and the discounts on books

Cons

No respect from the new owner or management.

Advice to Management

Promote and respect long time workers with experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Strand Book Store

1. "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

I worked at Strand Book Store full-time

Pros

I usually liked the pizza

Cons

Nancy is pretty mean dunno why she's so mad all the time

2. "Employees who were so miserable they joked about torching the building"

I worked at Strand Book Store full-time

Pros

Employee discount and positive customer interactions

Cons

Everything else, especially abusive managers

Advice to Management

You read that right! During my time here, my fellow employees would often joke about burning the building down or killing themselves so they didn't have to be there. At first I thought they may be whiny or immature, but many of them were mature and bright students in advanced programs who were tired of being demeaned by domineering managers. On the first day, I was yelled at for arriving too early and finishing my first task (book shelving) too quickly. (If a task that was supposed to take an hour only took me thirty minutes, they would often accuse me of lying about having completed it or "cheating.") A manager also continually taunted and demeaned me for working a minimum wage job even though I'd attended a prestigious college, essentially admitting that he enjoyed bossing me around because of it. My light-hearted reassurances that I did not (because I don't) think I am better than anyone else fell on deaf ears. Managers did not tell me about the clipboard saying where employees needed to be at what time and then yelled at me for not reading their minds, even though fellow employees had witnessed my training and knew they were lying. They told me I'd received training I didn't, even though I could prove it through lack of access to the computer database systems. I tried very hard to be respectful and assure them that they were right even when they weren't and to keep my head down, to no avail. At one point a customer literally approached me and asked me if I was okay because of the demeaning way a male manager (I'm a woman) spoke to me. She put her hand on my shoulder and told me I had already been extremely helpful to her; managers, meanwhile, told me I was useless to customers. There was such a level of gaslighting and demeaning behavior from managers that interacting with the wonderful and kind fellow employees is not worth it. Even those who had worked there for months or years took me aside and told me that it's incredibly demoralizing to work there at first and that you have to "push through it" until you are promoted away from the basement managers. Now that I no longer work there, a longtime employee told me that they intentionally bully beginners to quit so they don't have to give them union benefits, which aren't received until after a 90-day period. That is disgusting! Since working here, I no longer shop at The Strand and tell friends and employers at magazines to do the same. It's not worth it to contribute to an environment that humiliates intelligent, willing, and eager employees.