Strategic Fundraising - Fun, supportive work environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Strategic Fundraising

"Fun, supportive work environment"

Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO
Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Create your own schedule, you just have to follow it. Raise money for political causes and non profits

Cons

Must like phone work to succeed.

Other Employee Reviews for Strategic Fundraising

1. "It's Okay - Barely - For This Type of Work"

Current Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Strategic Fundraising part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays a little better than many call centers.

They allow some flexibility in scheduling.

Cons

A LOT of turnover. You know there's something wrong with a place when they start new employee training classes every week or two, and there's still plenty of cubicles left for them to use.

PETTY employee policies. Examples include a point system for disciplinary purposes ("offenses" can include taking too long in the restroom); changing your pay rate to the minimum-wage level for the morning pep talk, coaching and review sessions, and your 10-minute break; and now having to check your messages, schedule makeup time (if needed), etc. BEFORE you can clock in. I think that also may be illegal under wage and hour statutes.

Only the select few get to advance. And we recently found out that new hires (yes, LESS experience people) are making $2 more per hour than those of us who are veterans.

Advice to Management

Pay the same rate for all work-related activities. Make the benefits better. And work at making people better even more than you do now.

2. "Honest, ethical, meaningful-but not easy"

Current Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Strategic Fundraising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is consistent and steady-I know what to expect day in and day out. They treat me fairly and while some of the policies are ticky tack, they seem to exist for reasons that mostly make sense. They allow me to dress comfortably at work, but they did ding me for my flip flops. I've worked at other call centers where my bonus isn't ever attainable and I can honestly say that when I work harder and get on a roll, my bonus reflects that. They also raise money for non profit organizations like Operation Smile, Feeding America, and Prison Fellowship Ministries-which are all really awesome organizations and fun to know that you are playing an active roll in helping people that need the help.

Events are pretty fun. They've done barbeque's, pizza, recognition for someone that hit a large number of money raised. Picnics and Christmas gigs. Those are decent with free food and some funny awards.

Management is very real-normal human beings that you can talk to and not feel like they are looking down on you. It feels like they row right along with you because they have all been in that position before.

There is a new bonus and it rocks in comparison to the old system. I expected it to get "nixed", but it seems like they are going to keep it as company policy. This is really lucrative to those that raise lots of money.

Free coffee is nice too. Building is fairly newer in renovation, so it's not nasty-the work space is pretty well maintained. Every time we ran out of something, they were happy to replenish (Kleenex, papertowls or plates). I've never worked anywhere that had free popcorn or regular breaks. Some call centers make me get a sale before I get a break, but that never happened at Strategic.

I like that I'm a Professional Fundraiser and not "just" another Telemarketer.

All in all-it's a good work environment.

Cons

It is politically driven, so if you aren't into politics-this job could be your worst nightmare. The base pay feels low for this type of work, and I get minimum wage for breaks. I will say that since I'm not working, it's not the end of the world-but it seems like a cheap move to only pay minimum wage for a break or lunch.

The temperature is sometimes hotter than what I'd expect in an indoor job. Not sure if there are AC issues, but seems to be the case.

I get rolled alot from one list to another. Some people like variety, but I don't like that much change in my work day. So-one minute I'm calling for a Republican cause and the next minute, I'm calling for a non profit.

Advice to Management

Consider paying more for non production time-as I'm sure you come off as "cheap" to those that are coming through the doors. Figure out the temperature AC issue for your Fundraisers.