Stripe - Well intentioned company with great peers and growing pains | Glassdoor

"Well intentioned company with great peers and growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been extremely impressed by Stripe since day 1 -- in how it composes itself facing difficult decisions, runs on the day-to-day, and goes above and beyond expectations on a consistent basis. Leadership is inspirational (listen to a podcast with Patrick) yet very grounded when the going gets tough. Our company values ("operating principles") are lived by the leaders and it does really trickle down through the reporting chain. I seldom find myself disagreeing with decisions leadership makes, and they are quite transparent about their reasoning why. Your peers are friendly, sometimes to a fault, and I don't notice much/any unhealthy competition in the engineering org. You can assume your peers are well-intentioned and are willing to hear you out fully, in the end doing what's best for the business (or, customer). A slight downside to this -- knowing the right people to talk to is an invaluable skill that isn't scaling so well as the company grows. The mission of the company -- grow the GDP of the internet -- is arguably pure and apolitical. There is a sense we are building core infrastructure for the world. It's nice not to feel conflicted about your work. I've been happy that our planning process is often long-term. You can successfully argue for ideas that might not result in immediate benefits, but will pay dividends in, say, a year. This applies to paying down tech debt to new products or features. Your argument has to be well articulated, though. Finally, as a medium sized company, there is so much work to be done and opportunity for those who are willing to go out and grab it (even if it's not always obvious). Ambition and foresight are recognized and rewarded, even if you don't necessarily have seniority or tenure.

Cons

Work-life balance can suffer depending on your ambition. Working a 9-5 is OK, but in practice a 9-6 is more common. (management generally seems to not care about hours worked, but actual productivity, which is a plus) Internal tooling, testing, and development speed (especially outside the "happy path") has been a drain on productivity as the company has grown. It's invested in, but sometimes can be rough. Stripe grew as a developers-first company, so some scaffolding and support from others orgs is missing. Engineers often have to take on extra responsibility that may seem tedious or unrelated at another company. Growth / education / mentorship is well supported, but you sort of have to seek it out yourself.

Continue reading
    Stripe2019-10-28
  1. "Stripe for life!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing leaders/mentorship, flexibility, perks (the food...so ridiculously good & healthy), career advancement, compensation/benefits, and ability to make impact.

Cons

Like all growing companies, it's sometimes tough to balance work/life. After a 3-6 month or so ramp up, you will learn how to set expectations with stakeholders and balance things a bit better.

Continue reading
    Stripe2020-02-23
  2. "Great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stripe full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Superb product with a lot of growth potential and a well-thought-out company mission/vision • Competitive pay and great benefits • Healthy, people-oriented culture • A lot of opportunities for personal growth • Leadership cares about diversity • Good support for remote engineers

Cons

• Keeping good work/life balance can be difficult • Processes and organizational structure tends to change very fast • Missing alignment on technical strategy between pillars leads to suboptimal decisions

Stripe2020-02-15

Discover more reviews about Stripe.