Stryker - Great place to work! | Glassdoor

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Stryker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, first line manager and supervisors are approachable and generally care about their teams. Encouragement around personal and professional development. It is encouraged for employees to be close and friendly with those on their teams. Benefits are great. Competitive culture really drives people to do better and exceed expectations, but there is still a balance of a true team envornment. I find that mix between the competition and the team oriented nature of Stryker's culture to be truly unique. I think that's what really drives our people.

Cons

Favoritism in some teams holds people who are top performers back from opportunities, there is a lot of talk around development but not a lot of action. We should also become more connected across divisions rather than operating in silos

Advice to Management

We seem to fall short frequently in the compensation piece. Our benefits are great, but I think being a bit more aware of compensation and being more flexible will bring us to the next level. Some managers and directors need more trianing on HOW to manage and develop their teams, this may help in the favoritism area.

Other Employee Reviews for Stryker

1. "good company, product that matters"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I worked at Stryker full-time

Pros

product that helps people, and good company to work for

Cons

'stated growth goals are unrealistic' says the economy...

"No one actually knows why they're doing what they're doing."

Former Intern - Intern in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Intern - Intern in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Stryker as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, some nice people

Cons

I didn't have an awful time at Stryker, but you have to keep in mind that it is truly mindless work. Employees say they like working at Stryker because they feel like they're "helping people", yet in most positions you're just helping corporate stay out of trouble and make more money. Stryker has some vague mission statement about caring for the customer, but it's really hard to uphold this creed when your job is completely unrelated to any actual medical products. The problem with a large corporation like this is that everyone literally prides themselves on being corporate drones. "I passed the Gallup, I'm a good person" is pretty much the mentality, and everyone brags about their "top 5" characteristics. I really didn't meet anyone who was intelligent enough to not care about such BS. Every conversation I had felt fake, and people walked on eggshells around a problem instead of facing it head on. It's like a creepy movie where everyone fakes a smile and is afraid to say anything negative to another's face. Gossip is encouraged, however-- and as an intern, I always felt uncomfortable on which lines to cross. It was like a much more boring, corporate high school with even more unwritten rules. Not the worst place in the world, but the culture there was just not for me.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to have real conversations with each other. Productivity is definitely lacking among people who are afraid to be honest. It's a stressful environment when employees don't like each other.