Student Conservation Association - Interpretation Intern | Glassdoor

"Interpretation Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Student Conservation Association as an intern

Pros

Experience working with visitors at a great park, allowed for flexibility to design your own program, great workplace environment, lots of fun and interesting coworkers, great with providing housing for interns

Cons

Not always what they promised-- was supposed to be more flexible depending on your interests, so you can try out what it's like to work in different departments

Other Employee Reviews for Student Conservation Association

1. "A company with great aspirations, almost fully acheives them"

Current Employee - Community Crew Leader
    Current Employee - Community Crew Leader

I have been working at Student Conservation Association part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(Lots of different programs, these are about the National crews (summer) or community crews (part-time, school year)) Good compensation for number of hours worked, lots of autonomy, wealth of resources, wonderful aspirations.

Cons

Can be disorganized/try to do too much; challenging schedule (seasonal or infrequent work); donor relations at odds with the mission of the company.

2. "Great experience for students and young professionals"

Former Intern - Sustainability Intern
    Former Intern - Sustainability Intern

I worked at Student Conservation Association as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The SCA is great for people who are getting into the environmental field. It offers a wide range of opportunities and professional development. I did two internships with this organization and really enjoyed the work I did. My co-workers were overall great and I fully support the work the SCA does.

Cons

The major downside is the extremely low pay, also known as their "subsistence wage". If you aren't provided housing you'll be expected to find your own and the SCA will provide a rent stipend. It's only enough for you to get a shared living space. Just recently I had to turn down two opportunities because I was going to be paid so little that I either had to get a second job, which is extremely difficult if the program is Americorp associated, or go on government assistance just to make sure I could live decently. Be careful when pursuing an internship with this organization unless you're prepared to live very frugally or eat through your savings.

Advice to Management

Wonderful work, but it would help to raise wages if you want to attract more seasoned workers.