Subway - Going to depend on your franchise owner | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Subway

"Going to depend on your franchise owner"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Subway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As the title says, what its like to work for Subway depends a lot on the franchise owner. The owner of my Subway gives me very flexible hours and lets me eat however much food I want and lets me give close friends and family free food, while have a very casual relationship with the employees, and is generally a great person to work for.

Cons

Not every franchise owner is as nice as mine. Some only give a discount on food for the employee and are very strict. In almost all cases, the pay is minimum wage, and you're not likely to receive any benefits such as health care, sick/vacation pay, etc. Some owners are strict and will fire someone at the drop of a hat, while others will let things slide.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people and respect them and don't make them fear you, and you will have happy employees that are more willing to do favors like covering shifts.

Other Employee Reviews for Subway

1. "Previous Worker"

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Lansing, MI

I worked at Subway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was busy so time went by quickly
    Customers were generally nice
    Work environment was cleaner and not greasy
    Co workers were friendly and decent hires
    You can work there and know that afterwards you would still eat there
    I was able to get hours that I wanted

Cons

I had a terrible manager
    uneven work load ,,night people were often understaffed
    raises are few and far between

Advice to Management

Hire better managers . Dont hire managers that have best friends within the crew, this creates unfairness. Upper management should come in and check the stores and get anonymous suggestions. I set the record for most sandwiches sold one night, I worked all by myself. I received no acknowledgement for the fact that I set that record while understaffed .

2. "It's okay, experience depends on management"

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Subway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great depending on who your boss hires. You can even get some of your friends to work with you if your boss takes recommendations. You also get a free 6 inch sandwich every time you work.

Cons

There is only two workers working most of the time. It is terrible when it gets busy and you feel like you could use more help. Also you have to pick up some slack from morning shift if you work at night so you end up doing some of the tasks that morning shift did not do.

Advice to Management

Assign more help when employees are stuggling with tasks. Three people working at a time would make things more efficient and lighten the load a bit and allow workers to go home on time. Also teach new employees to bake bread so shifts are more flexible and interchangable with each other.