Subway - Subway | Glassdoor

"Subway"

Pros

Easy place to work. Friendly environment

Cons

No real problems at the one I worked at

Other Employee Reviews for Subway

1. "It wasn't what I thought It would be."

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist

I have been working at Subway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well If you never worked in food industry it's okay for a start.

Cons

No breaks! Employee meals are limited! Not enough scheduled hours. Owner complains way too much never satisfied wants too much and does not want to pay you for your time. i work one day a week sometimes ever 2 weeks.

Advice to Management

If you have too many employees and can't give people full or part time hours instead of one to three days per week it is best to let the weakest link go and not make everyone suffer!

2. "Hard, stressful and depressing - low paying work experience."

Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Subway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Co-workers that turned into great friends

Cons

They don't train you at all. I was thrown on the line the first day and had to figure everything out myself. Luckily I was smart and asked my co-workers questions but it was a very intimidating experience at first because of not being trained. Customers were/are very rude. They walk up to the counter rude and are really mean. Some regular employees were nice but for the most part you deal with at least one terrible experience per day. The shifts are not good- I had to work until midnight on Saturday and started at 7am the next day. That is seven hours to drive home, shower, sleep, wake up, shower and get ready, then get to work. They don't train so you have to work with all of these new people and basically train/supervise them yourself. No raises. I worked eight-plus hours by myself meaning - no bathroom or lunch breaks. Upper management was very mean and disrespectful without even meeting or knowing us. One regional manager yelled at me for no reason before even meeting me. Another disrespected a customer in front of all of us.

Advice to Management

Train your employees. Allow for breaks, free lunches and do not be disrespectful. I think one free 6-inch sandwich per eight hour shift should be acceptable. Some type of raise every six months should be standard throughout the company. People that open, clean the store, prepare the vegetables and food, bake, clean the equipment and close the registers then store should be payed more than minimum wage after six months. The longer an employee is there=more responsibility. An employee that has the knowledge and capabilities gained throughout years of employment should not make the same as someone who cannot even properly make a sandwich. More respect would allow for a smaller turnover rate.