Success Academy Charter Schools - Energetic and mission driven -- great people! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

"Energetic and mission driven -- great people!"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am so impressed with my colleagues -- a very smart, caring group of professionals fully committed to ensuring that our scholars have the best possible education. You can feel the energy and sense of mission when you walk through the door. The pace is fast and expectations are high which I appreciate. My hard work is recognized and I have a very supportive leadership team. The culture is one of continuous improvement so I have found people very open to feedback and working together to keep making things better.

Cons

Success Academy is a relatively new, fast-growing organization so it is important to be flexible as the organization continues to develop and change.

Other Employee Reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

1. "At the cutting edge of education reform"

Current Employee - Network employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Network employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Success is the place for people who want to make a difference. I love working here and feeling like I am a part of really making a difference for children in New York CIty. I am surrounded by like-minded individuals who are all quite amazing. I was so proud of our scholars and their test results this past year. What makes me so happy about this is that children in poor areas in New York City have the same opportunities as rich children. It's not easy to accomplish this--it's a ton of work. But so, so worth it.

I used to work in a job where it paid the bills, but I felt very dissatisfied. It was much easier than working at Success. I knew I needed to have a job that I believed in; I actually kind of felt like I couldn't waste another moment in my life working just to make money to pay the bills. My job now is one I believe in and love doing, even when it's hard. For me, it makes all the difference in the world that I can believe in the work that I'm doing and know how important it is.

Cons

Pace is very fast. This is not necessarily a "con," but it won't be a perfect match for everyone. I'm the type of person who can't stand watching the clock and waiting for the end of the day. This does not happen at Success; there is plenty of work, and the day flies by so quickly. If you're the type of person who wants a relaxed, clock-in, clock-out job, this won't be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the development of employees. It's worth it as you grow! Keep the innovation coming because it's working for our scholars!

2. "High performing public charter school system that demands excellence in teaching"

Current Employee - Science Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Science Teacher in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* All classrooms supplied with high quality teaching materials: Smart Boards, MAC technology, all teachers receive a MacBook Pro to design and implement technology for all lessons
    *All teachers supported by a well trained and dedicated leadership staff and operations team
    *In house curriculum designed at the highest level with clarity and alignment with NYS Standards
    *Vast opportunities to grow teaching practice with weekly professional development and supporting instructional staff
    Since teaching for the past 13 years in high needs urban areas, my past 3 years at SCN has been extremely rewarding because of the levels of excellence our scholars achieve in mastering math, reading, writing, and science above grade level

Cons

*extended work hours- the average teaching day starts at 7 AM and runs past 5 PM, most teachers work 10-12 hours per day
    *teachers are rated by performance frequently throughout the school year and is very competitive
    *feedback from leadership team must be implemented immediately

Advice to Management

*Allow more free time to use feedback an implement it correctly