Success Academy Charter Schools - Well-funded, high expectations, don't value their employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

"Well-funded, high expectations, don't value their employees"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They've got incredibly funding and the schools are beautiful. It is a safe environment for children to learn in. The school gives opportunity to children who wouldn't have access to a great school and they do learn the content and perform well on tests.

Cons

I felt completely taken advantage of as a teacher. Way overworked (even relative to a prior career that was extremely demanding), felt very little respect from network. Didn't care about my work-life balance, personal health, emotional well-being. Was assigned way more tasks than what I believe a teacher should be asked to do (which resulted in lower quality work in the classroom). Extremely micromanaged, which was forced upon me in my work, and forced upon students as well. Little creativity encouraged in learning.

Advice to Management

It's been noted that the network doesn't care about employee turn over--but this school turned me off from teaching. Literally worked me until I was sick. Actually care about your employees well-being and sanity--work smarter, not harder. Allow kids to be kids, and let the teachers teach.

Other Employee Reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

"Energetic and mission driven -- great people!"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am so impressed with my colleagues -- a very smart, caring group of professionals fully committed to ensuring that our scholars have the best possible education. You can feel the energy and sense of mission when you walk through the door. The pace is fast and expectations are high which I appreciate. My hard work is recognized and I have a very supportive leadership team. The culture is one of continuous improvement so I have found people very open to feedback and working together to keep making things better.

Cons

Success Academy is a relatively new, fast-growing organization so it is important to be flexible as the organization continues to develop and change.

2. "At the cutting edge of education reform"

Current Employee - Network employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Network employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Success is the place for people who want to make a difference. I love working here and feeling like I am a part of really making a difference for children in New York CIty. I am surrounded by like-minded individuals who are all quite amazing. I was so proud of our scholars and their test results this past year. What makes me so happy about this is that children in poor areas in New York City have the same opportunities as rich children. It's not easy to accomplish this--it's a ton of work. But so, so worth it.

I used to work in a job where it paid the bills, but I felt very dissatisfied. It was much easier than working at Success. I knew I needed to have a job that I believed in; I actually kind of felt like I couldn't waste another moment in my life working just to make money to pay the bills. My job now is one I believe in and love doing, even when it's hard. For me, it makes all the difference in the world that I can believe in the work that I'm doing and know how important it is.

Cons

Pace is very fast. This is not necessarily a "con," but it won't be a perfect match for everyone. I'm the type of person who can't stand watching the clock and waiting for the end of the day. This does not happen at Success; there is plenty of work, and the day flies by so quickly. If you're the type of person who wants a relaxed, clock-in, clock-out job, this won't be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the development of employees. It's worth it as you grow! Keep the innovation coming because it's working for our scholars!