Success Academy Charter Schools - Great opportunity to work in fast-paced, growing culture!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

"Great opportunity to work in fast-paced, growing culture!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong mission focus in decisions made
Super smart hard working, dedicated people with highly varied experiences/backgrounds/industry - diverse culture
Rewarding - Visible impact seen from the work you do and successes of our network
Strong opportunity for rapid growth and compensation based on your performance
Open to ideas and innovation
Challenging, need to be resilient and open

Cons

Lack of consistently reinforced processes, lot of exceptions because we are start-up mode, but gives opportunity to support in creation of systems
Work life balance, however, many efforts made to improve over last year and it shows!

Other Employee Reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

"The worst experience of my life"

Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of money is spent on technology. Each teacher is given a cell phone with which to call parents every night.

Cons

The pay is said to be above a beginning teacher's salary at DOE, but there is no pension plan or guaranteed increases that you would get at the DOE. There are no time-off policies, as you are expected to arrive at 6:45 a.m. in order to eat with the children. You are highly encouraged to until 6 pm. After the teachers sign an agreement, you are told later that there are no substitutes, and you will cover other teachers' classrooms when they are out. This, and other manipulations, pit teacher against teacher. They are highly competitive and pit one class or one Academy against another. I felt embarrassed when the HSA staff made fun of the DOE schools and the lack of facilities. The support or administrative staff, or whatever you call it, consists of very young people without educational experience, but they gave me a phone interview which was more like a social chat. The children and the teachers are micro-managed. You are told to have the children gaze at you 100% of the time and you have to re-do until all the children gaze at you in unison. The principal would hear gossip and approach a teacher from behind and say, "I heard you said a bad thing about..." You will not get a reference, as the Academy does not have policies for references, unions, sick days or meeting in groups for support. You will be extremely burned out and you may not want to teach anymore.

Advice to Management

If the school wants to continue, they should ease up on the hours and the lack of special ed and English language learners in the school. Make the schools a loving place.

2. "Review"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, wonderful people to work with, and room for improvement.

Cons

Can be unorganized sometimes, long days