Success Academy Charter Schools - Great opportunity to work in fast-paced, growing culture!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

"Great opportunity to work in fast-paced, growing culture!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong mission focus in decisions made
Super smart hard working, dedicated people with highly varied experiences/backgrounds/industry - diverse culture
Rewarding - Visible impact seen from the work you do and successes of our network
Strong opportunity for rapid growth and compensation based on your performance
Open to ideas and innovation
Challenging, need to be resilient and open

Cons

Lack of consistently reinforced processes, lot of exceptions because we are start-up mode, but gives opportunity to support in creation of systems
Work life balance, however, many efforts made to improve over last year and it shows!

Other Employee Reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

1. "Review"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, wonderful people to work with, and room for improvement.

Cons

Can be unorganized sometimes, long days

"Success Academy Prospect Heights is so wonderful"

Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

charter schools are essentially run like franchises -- there's a central management office that provides operational guidelines and requirements, and then it's up to the leader of each location to determine how the vision is realized at their school. my experience at SAPH has been amazing, largely because the principal here is incredible. I can't speak for anywhere else, because this is the only success school I've taught in. the other teachers and staff are also wonderful, and the culture is great. when i first started here, i was wary of what i'd heard about charter schools -- stifling micromanagement, arbitrarily stringent policies, etc. my principal has shaped the culture around trusting and respecting teachers as professionals, not just replaceable cogs in the changing-the-lives-of-children machine. she is amazing and I can not say enough enthralling things about her.

in terms of the network, there's ample opportunity for professional development, great technology, all of the classroom materials you can pin, and lots of friendly people trying to do a good job. if you want to learn how to become an excellent charter school teacher, you can absolutely do it here.

Cons

there is sometimes some mis-alignment between network requirements and the day-to-day business of classrooms. If you're interested in taking your teaching career beyond the charter world, you won't get much experience here in things like unit/lesson planning or or social/emotional development. the emphasis on meeting testing benchmarks is not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

more training on developing the whole child! it's not just sending them off to specials! I wish we could learn more about how kids learn, and especially how to deal with exceptional learners and behaviors. and, hire more principals like Monica Komery.