Suddenlink Communications - Could be better | Glassdoor

"Could be better"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Lubbock, TX
Former Employee - Tech Support in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Suddenlink Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Coworkers, free cable and inet service

Cons

Low Pay, in Q too much

Other Employee Reviews for Suddenlink Communications

"Stressful, frustrating &, at times, exasperating!"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Suddenlink Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent- health, dental, 401k, free cable are a plus. Pay is decent for Tyler area...

Cons

When more big companies come to Tyler, there will be more of a need for competitive commissions, but in the past 2 years, Suddenlink has used all the creativity it can muster as a company to figure out how to pressure agents to sell sell sell and pay them as little as they can possibly get away with for their trouble. What was once a thriving, pleasantly competitive & lucrative sales environment has been reduced to a floor of agents buckling under the pressure to force every product down a customer's throat, regardless of the reason for their call- and pay them peanuts for all the stress & effort. It's sad to see.
    Nepotism, favoritism & greed are the norm here. If you have "it", sups love you, promotions come quickly & easily & you pretty much do what you want. If you don't have "it", you'll be threatened with termination for the same things others are freely getting away with... it's all a matter of who likes you.

Management jobs go to those who are well liked, not those with the best skills to lead. If the supervisor likes you, you'll be ok. If they don't, forget getting anything but the bare minimum from them. The direction a Suddenlink employee's career takes can rest largely on the supervisor they end up with, so the odds are definitely NOT good at all.

Sales goals and expectations are inflated for the current economy and are a result of corporate greed. Businesses expect to make a profit, but this goes well beyond that. The majority of expectations are not feasible based on the given circumstances and trying isn't enough.... agents have been forced to call cusotmers back if they couldn't close the sale, etc.

Advice to Management

Get back to being a company that is customer focused and treats employees like assets, not like slaves to the company's bottom line, charged with obtaining sales at any cost. Empower your employees instead of making them feel they are in a vacuum where effort doesn't matter and nothing is ever enough.
    I envision a workplace where employees are smiling because they feel they are part of something awesome. (See 100 Best Places To Work: Google) Happy employees make happy customers and happy customers buy! Remember that mentality? Get back to it!

"still going off the deep end"

Current Employee - Bbt2 in Bryan, TX
    Current Employee - Bbt2 in Bryan, TX

I have been working at Suddenlink Communications full-time

Pros

free cable and internet and a pay check and a work truck to drive home that's about it

Cons

where to start. supervisors in my system are all more concerned about them selves looking good than anything else even if it means throwing a good tech under the bus. I am a service tech. they recently said we have to score a certain score on all categories across the board on our score cards and some of it I understand but the sales is the one that I don't agree with. I did not sign up to be a sales man I signed up to be a service tech if I wanted to be a sales man I would have signed up to be one. if we don't make that score they want we get punished but my job is to fix and install services and make sure my customers are happy suddenlink has sales people on staff to sale services. management is far out of touch with the people under them. they do not care about us at all. we get worked to death and every week at our meeting they announce a new policy that makes our job harder. we have 45 minutes to complete each job but we have to fix the problem and check behind all of the wall plates go up to the top of the pole check the connector there check all of the phone wiring if the problem is the drop that takes like 45 minutes its self to replace so basically keeping your points per hour good on your score card is very difficult. there is ALOT OF FAVORITEISM in the bryan college station system. supervisors perform very harsh quality control checks on techs that they don't like. but take it easy on there buddy's. they lie to us and then punish people for reporting it to hr if they find out who it was or who they assume it was which violates the open door policy so now techs are afraid to say anything to anyone because a target WILL be painted on there back I have seen this too many times. management punishes us for not following safety procedures but I have seen first hand them not following the same safety procedures that they punish us for. one supervisor in particular put me in a unsafe position. he put my ladder on a pole I told him I was not comfortable climbing because I could not put my ladder on it in a safe position according to how we were taught in the training course. There are ALOT of techs here that are looking for other jobs and the things that I have mentioned are just a few things that are going on here. and I thank hr needs to meet with the techs one on one every once in a while to discuss how things are going that way hr can hold people accountable for there actions or try to make changes that would benefit everyone. HAPPY TECHS = GOOD WORK AND ATTITUDE GOOD WORK AND ATTITUDE = HAPPY CUSTOMERS

Advice to Management

practice what you preach, treat all techs fairly, try to make this a good place to work as we are as important as the customers, stop lying to us all the time, be fair, give us time to clean our trucks we need it very bad, hole your selves accountable for things instead of pushing it on us, treat us like the good people we are, lead by example, take care of your techs and they will take care of you.