SugarCRM - SugarCRM is an OK place to work if you are an engineer. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for SugarCRM

"SugarCRM is an OK place to work if you are an engineer."

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

engineering culture, smart co-workers and cool projects to work on .

Cons

complex politics, lack of communication and no clear direction for anyone outside of engineering.

Other Employee Reviews for SugarCRM

"A roller coaster ride where you aren't sure if your harness is locked properly"

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    A few members of C Suite still genuinely care about the culture and employees
    Found a way to survive the recession
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

Have heard IPO for multiple years
    Poor planning when major reorgs happen
    Very little culture left
    Almost no effort made it introduce new employees to vetrans

Advice to Management

I would really prefer to stop hearing about us going IPO. It has no impact on me as an employee anymore. Let me know the day before it ACTUALLY is going to happen or let it go.

Sugar used to be a place where people were promoted from within and stayed for years and now it seems we just keep hiring more and more people who aren't truly Sugas; who don't care about anything other than getting a paycheck. I'm tired of seeing hardworking good people leave/get laid off because of some poorly planned reorganization.

As a side note...I don't think Engineering always getting all the perks, food every week, outings, parties, toys...while everyone else waits for the holiday party creates a sense of equality. Let's even out that portion of the budget shall we? (I'm coming from a place of years of observation, not just recently)

All the new signage/tshirts are great but I don't really think those are our values. I think those are the values we wish we had.

On the plus side, I know there are members of C Suite who genuinely care about the company, it's employees, and the culture. What I would prefer is that those people REQUIRE their managers to be a part of the culture. You can't talk about culture and then never participate. You can't expect 12 people out of 180 to keep a culture thriving.

I have had a mostly great time as an employee at Sugar and am grateful for everything I have learned and continue to learn. I stay close to the people my gut says are the real deal and are not just here for a paycheck. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

I do think we have great benefits as well and I do see HR making an effort to add more.

I still have hope Sugar. Now prove you are who you think you are.

"Fun for a while, frustrating as of late"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a long time, SugarCRM was a great place to work. There was always a lot to be done, but it was always an interesting challenge, and fun work with collaborative teams. My colleagues are intelligent and hard-working. I really love working with my team.

The benefits are nice, the hours are flexible (at least for my team, can't speak for others), and they bring in food at least once a week.

Cons

While I do love my team, there is a lot of "bad blood" between groups at the management level. When things go even a little south, fingers are pointed immediately.

I also feel that the product management team is a bit out of touch with reality. As a whole, we seem to spend a lot of time focusing on building new features and using new technology; not spending ample time improving overall product quality and scalability, where a lot of the real issues lie. Additionally, we spend a lot of time changing directions. I'm unsure if this is due to power struggles at the top, or a management team that has no sense of where they are going. Maybe a bit of both.

Advice to Management

The politics have to get better for the company to move forward. Fighting between groups isn't good for anyone and is going to drive away what talent is left.

The internal systems in place are also sorely in need of repair. Another reviewer mentioned cobbler's children syndrome, which I think concisely sums up what is happening inside the company. If we are to be a top CRM vendor, we must have an exceptional CRM ourselves.