SumTotal - Smart and Collaborative | Glassdoor

"Smart and Collaborative"

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The exec team is smart, collaborative and transparent
The organization employs some of the smartest people I've ever worked with
Organizational focus is on the most important thing - customer success and satisfaction
Compensation and performance are tied to customer satisfaction and other organization goals to give employees a clear focus

Cons

Culture can still be a bit stiff as a result of multiple organizations coming together, but have seen dramatic improvement over the past 6 months

Other Employee Reviews for SumTotal

1. "SumTotal is a best kept secret for Sales & Marketing professionals"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SumTotal has recently acquired and integrated 4 companies which is hard and painful, and explains past reviews. What that means is now is there is amazing opportunities for personal and professional growth and all the painful part of transformation is in the rear view mirror. If you like building and having a direct impact on the business you will love it.

Cons

It's like working at a high-growth start-up in some ways, so it's really fun if you like that kind of cadence. Fast decisions, execution-oriented, everyone dives in and works together. If you prefer a large, more structured, slower pace this isn't the place.

Advice to Management

Great management team, quality people and really care about the employees. They have complete focus on customer success and growth. Exciting time to be with the company.

"They pay you for the work you do, you get paid crappy, and your assignments are crappy."

Current Intern - Software Developer Intern in Gainesville, FL
    Current Intern - Software Developer Intern in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to get some experience in an Agile environment. Was able to get my first internship on my resume. Was able to develop a couple cool features.

Cons

The structure for an intern was terrible. It took forever for them to get me set up in a way that I could actually contribute. Also, they never knew how to manage me so that I could always stay productive. The only way I was able to learn things was by taking initiative.

Advice to Management

You guys need to give more structure to your interns. Have a station set up for them when they arrive. Have goals you want them to accomplish. Have a plan for them everyday that they come in. Communicate with them better to make sure they are taking something away from your company.