SumTotal - Smart and Collaborative | Glassdoor

"Smart and Collaborative"

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The exec team is smart, collaborative and transparent
The organization employs some of the smartest people I've ever worked with
Organizational focus is on the most important thing - customer success and satisfaction
Compensation and performance are tied to customer satisfaction and other organization goals to give employees a clear focus

Cons

Culture can still be a bit stiff as a result of multiple organizations coming together, but have seen dramatic improvement over the past 6 months

Other Employee Reviews for SumTotal

1. "Strength to Strength but cost cutting could hamper this."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at SumTotal full-time

Pros

Flexible working
    Benefits - BUPA, Dental, Pension scheme, etc.
    Investment into the product - a lot of money has been invested into the new solution
    Improving Marketing - Investment into EMEA marketing and activities are increasing.
    Good local Management - EMEA management get it, and are very supportive.
    Great Team and talented individuals - Probably the best bunch of colleagues I have worked with and the Skillsoft team are very much included in that, gone are the days of them and us.

Cons

Professional Services - This is a real problem globally, when a SAAS company are charging more for services than your software, something is broken, loosing deals based on PS costs should not happen with a SAAS business, this needs to be fixed sooner rather than later and I hope the senior execs are realising we cannot go on with not winning business because of PS costs.

Cost cutting - Annual Global Sales Event was changed to smaller local events to reduce costs. Adopted Skillsoft's policy of sharing rooms when on these events to cut costs which is quite insulting and a lot of people refused and had to pay out of their own pockets to get a room on their own or expense travel to and from home in the evenings.

Salary Increases are rare, even for top performers, you need to threaten to leave to be paid what your worth.

Communication from execs is getting better but still quite poor

Staff Turnover is still an issue

Them and us feeling with EMEA, APAC and Americas.

Advice to Management

Fix professional services - We are a SAAS vendor and services costs should be affordable for ALL of our prospects, not just the Large Enterprise.

Reward the staff you want to keep before they threaten to leave.

Be more open and honest with the staff regardless of where we are in the world.

Stop cutting costs so much that it affects team collaboration and morale, the last GSM cuts left a lot of people ready to pack up and leave.

We are one company so when communication is mainly aimed at the Americas it creates divide, be more inclusive and think about the global team more.

2. "sumtotal"

Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Hyderabad (India)
    Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Hyderabad (India)

I worked at SumTotal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good company to work as a fresher

Cons

salary is so what less