Summa Health System - Used to feel like family but layoffs really did their damage | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Summa Health System

"Used to feel like family but layoffs really did their damage"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I worked at Summa Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay, good benefits, felt like a safe environment, patients communicated that they felt they were getting good medical care. Shuttle between hospitals for employees was helpful. Free parking a plus.

Cons

No raises for over three years; lots of layoffs of absolutely wonderful, hard working employees while those that didn't want to pull their weight kept their jobs. Truly felt as though the rich got richer at Summa.

Advice to Management

Summa used to be very "patient first" but now appears "management first." Patient complaints have really increased since all of the first-line employee layoffs. I left the company because I was afraid I'd be next. In addition, the High/Medium/Low review was difficult to swallow. Some departments were allowed to grant "high" while others were not. It was extremely unfair and unbalanced.

Other Employee Reviews for Summa Health System

1. "Pretty decent employer and could be a nice place to work"

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Akron, OH

I have been working at Summa Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

make pretty good pay and hours.

Cons

Too strict. Managers don't mind mandating you in a hearbeat and I don't like to accomodate people for vacations at all. Very strict.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep employee's, stop being so strict on everything. We are human and not robots.

2. "Understaffed in every department except Executive suites."

Current Employee - Medical Records Department
    Current Employee - Medical Records Department

I have been working at Summa Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with and conveniently located. Decent medical benefits.

Cons

Pay well below market, no raises or bonuses in 4 yrs (except for management). Contribution to 403K is quite low. PTO means you have to earn paid holidays. No room for advancement. Upper management expects miracles and over works everyone.

Advice to Management

Have reasonable quotas and departmental goals. Pay based on the real market value of employees and more people will stick around. If executives get raises or bonuses ALL employees should too.