Sun Life - Not surprised they are getting out of the US business | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

"Not surprised they are getting out of the US business"

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will get along fine if you give in to the quirks of senior management. Some senior managers are only there due to longevity, not because of their ability. Its an ok place if you want to coast until your next job.

Cons

Capable people end up leaving. I guess that is the way with many companies. You can quickly see that management only wants you to operate at the level of their understanding. If you are a driven person in your career, this is a nice resting place for a while but your 'wanting to do better' will replace the complacency that the culture has.

Advice to Management

Stop having a hidden agenda. It does show. Truly be open and honest with staff. Promote ideas that have potential to grow the marketplace, no matter what level it comes from.

Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life

"Ask a lot of questions during your interview.....then think twice before accepting an offer"

Former Employee - Programme Director in North Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Programme Director in North Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are adequate. Reimbursement for benefits is quick

Cons

Load of politics; senior management who doesn't have a clue; cliques; perpetual reorgs. Some senior managers have no clue what is going on in their depts. Budgets are poorly managed. There are lots of duplicate roles. My job did not have a description and I had to do my own performance review. There was no on boarding - just general HR stuff about how great things are. IT leaders are just old programmers and database guys who've done their time, they are very poor managers and their egos are immense.

The VP that I worked for had not clue on how to provide feedback. Lots of lip service and dictated "get to know and be friendly" with the staff sessions which are filled with propaganda. I was not advised that I would be required to travel to Kitchener office during the interview and then a few weeks into it was told it was a requirement.

Advice to Management

Maybe you should stop your little junkets to Asia under the guise of "planning" and put money into actually fixing IT and getting to know the front-line people that work 24/7 so that you can get your big bonuses.

"Financial Advisors experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none unless you enjoy working alone on in a sales-is-everything environment

Cons

is a pure sales role, do not be fooled by its vague relations to financial planning or investments, it is glorified retail sales

advisors who survive more than 2 years are few and far between.

Advice to Management

there is a reason people do not respect insurance people, and while insurance is your business, your tactics do not bring confidence to the marketplace.